NYU Supplement- (Medical/Political curiosity, Melting pot of opportunities, DWJ)

Reaper1Shi 7 / 25  
1) Please tell us what led you to select both your anticipated academic area(s) of study and the NYU school / college / program or the Abu Dhabi campus. What interests you most about your intended discipline? Mention any extracurricular or non-school-related activities or experiences that demonstrate your interest.

I've always been guided by the blind impulse of curiosity. Constantly badgering my uncle, a doctor, with questions, I was fascinated by how his warm words offered just as much panacea as his treatments. With his influence, I developed a love for medicine and a desire to help, reinforced by research at universities and internships with doctors. My political interests were also awakened. My father, working at the UN, proved that words make a difference. NYU will provide me with the tools and networks needed to follow my passions and make my mark on society.

2) NYU is 'In and of the City' and 'In and of the World.' What does the concept of a global network university mean to you? How do you think studying in New York City, Abu Dhabi, or one of NYU's global sites would change you as a person and equip you to build cross-cultural relationships at NYU and beyond?

Having lived in many different countries, diversity has always been a part of my life. I am aware that there are distinctive people and customs with unique ways of life. NYU, being "In and of the World," is a melting pot of cultures and opportunities. It educates its students to respect diversity and multiplicity, molding their minds into a wide expanse of experience, ready for the next escapade. Studying in NYU will help me form intercultural connections and promote my independence.

3)If you had the opportunity to bring any person -- past or present, fictional or nonfictional -- to a place that is special to you (your hometown or country, a favorite location, etc), who would you bring and why? Tell us what you would share with that person.

I would take Diana Wynne Jones to the public library. Her novels were the first that I read when I moved to America. Her comedic delight in the creation of absurd-yet-logical situations and droll parodies eased my transition into the English language and inspired my love of reading. Meeting over a hot cup of tea, I'd ask where she gets inspiration and whether her college professors (C.S. Lewis & J.R.R. Tolkien) influenced her writing. Inside information on upcoming novels would also be welcome.

Please offer some critiques. I'd appreciate some help cutting down the length of my first answer. Thank you!
madcaodisease 3 / 6  
Thanks for looking over my essay :)

So for your first one, I'm just looking at the sentence "My political interests were also awakened." It's a little bit jarring, considering the lack of transition (but that's not your fault, I hate the word limit for this supplement). I would suggest combining it with your next sentence, maybe with a semicolon or something. If you want to cut down the length of the paragraph (you have, what, 55 characters or so above the limit?) I would maybe cut out the word "blind" at the beginning. It's poetic, but I don't think it really contributes to the meaning. The next thing I would look at is your sentence "Constantly badgering my uncle, a doctor, with questions, I was fascinated by how his warm words offered just as much panacea as his treatments." It's good, and I'm personally not sure how I would cut that down, but I noticed that you didn't really mention much about how words can heal in the rest of your response. I know you say later that you developed a desire to help, but it's not INCREDIBLY important to the answer. Your writing is good, though - I'm sure you'll think of some way to work it out.

Otherwise, it all seems good! Your answers are concise and clear, as far as I can tell.

Home / Undergraduate / NYU Supplement- (Medical/Political curiosity, Melting pot of opportunities, DWJ)