NYU: movie 2050, anticipated academic program, short poem, New Yorker, summer

sakeloga 3 / 16  
Thank You for helping! These are my supplement essays for NYU. I will turn them in tomorrow, so I really need help to check my work!

Please tell us what led you to select your anticipated academic program and/or NYU school/college, and what interests you most about your intended discipline.

The quote by John C. Maxwell- "A man must be big enough to admit his mistakes, smart enough to profit from them, and strong enough to correct them" appears when I think of this question. The business world is a labyrinth with many entries and exits and no one has the map that indicates the best route. People can find themselves facing forks in the path and blind alleys in a maze; they too confront decision-making points and crisis in the commerce world. The unpredictable nature of businesses may smother some people's interests, but not mine. Fond of problem-solving, I can't wait to confront the questions and challenges offered in the business world. I am eager to throw myself into the maze now.

In the year 2050, a movie is being made of your life. Please tell us the name of your movie and briefly summarize the story line.

Movie Name: Lesson from the Past

The movie begins with a snapshot of an international school, in the year 2004. On the third floor of the building, a boy is timidly knocking the door. The main character is learning, everyday, from the clashes between his belief system and those of his teachers. Eventual transformation to an active member of school didn't satisfy him-his eagerness to explore the world outside was ever so strong.

At age 22, he devoted himself to the business world with exuberance, but reality knocked him down-his zealous heart was extinguished. The shy boy at the beginning re-emerged, not due to naïveté, but frustration. At the worst days, he underwent an epiphany, and learned to solve problems with his experiences in the international school.

The movie ends with a quote from the real main character: "cherish your past: it's the wisdom that helps you through the darkest hours".

Short Poem (less than 8 lines):

Stinky Tofu
The aroma can be heaven or hell,
When you smell, you know it's stinky tofu.
Milky and soft inner core; golden and crispy outer shell,
When you bite, you know it's stinky tofu.

The belief is both Confucianism and Individualism,
When you meet, you know I'm Chunghan
Sedulous and prudent attitude; optimistic and inspirational value,
When you interact, you know I'm Chunghan

A part of the Taiwanese culture,
With discrepant elements that blend well:
I am stinky tofu.

Love it or hate it,
You'll never forget it.

If you had the opportunity to spend one day in New York City with a famous New Yorker, who would it be and what would you do? (Your New Yorker can be anyone - past or present, fictional or non-fictional - who is generally associated with New York City; they do not necessarily have to have been born and raised in New York City.)

New York has been known for its business activity, so I want to learn the city in a different perspective that can only be perceived through the guidance of a virtuoso, who I will choose Mr. Calvin Klein.

The day will be started with a typical New-Yorker styled breakfast (fast-foods) to adjust my pace to a New-Yorker's. I will stay mostly in Manhattan, to drench myself in the prosperous and busy atmosphere of business activities. At the same time, Mr. Calvin will introduce me the artistic aspects of the city-from the brilliantly-designed skyscrapers that shock my five senses to the peacefully-magnificent Central Park that relaxes me down.

This day will not only involve me into the culture of New York, but also teach me the beauty of the city that foreigners usually fail to recognize.

In addition to any work you listed above, please tell us how you spent your most recent summer vacation.

Throughout the summer, I exercised every afternoon, especially playing basketball with my friends. For my academic performance, I went to cram school to study for SAT and finished some IB essays, such as Extended Essay and World Lit essays. I also tutored a 4th grade local child in Xiamen who aimed to study abroad.

For the poem, I exceeded the 8 lines limit, so I must cut some lines short?
And for the anticipated academic program, do I need to focus more on NYU?

Constructive criticisms welcomed. Sugestions appreciated! I will also be glad to help in return! Thank You.
demuredelight 2 / 22  
For the first prompt, Chunghan, the quote is about mistake but your elaboration is more about problems and challenges. You can add in some sentences to explain that confronted by difficulties, you are not afraid of taking challenges or making mistakes because you can turn them into profitable opportunities.

For the second prompt, I suggest you use 'lesson' as the movie name. The prompt required you to summarize your story line so I think it's better that you describe less of the details but to outline what happened in international school that was so important to your future challenges.

For the fourth prompt, you choose Mr. Calvin Klein to spend one day with you in New York City. Yet in your paragraph, the experience is not unique. Maybe you can focus on how he affects your view on fashion industry and business world of New York City.
OP sakeloga 3 / 16  
I really need some suggestions for my essay...please help me I will be very glad! the due date is even closer now!

I have problems with the poem---do I need to shorten my poem because it exceeds the limitation of 8 lines?
autogunny 3 / 72  
, who I will choose Mr. Calvin Klein

. Who better than Mr. Calvin Klein?

that shock my five senses t

cliche. I still don't know what about the city you find stimulating. So you like smelling stuff, seeing stuff, hearing stuff, touching stuff?

that relaxes me down

What? How does that relax you DOWN.

reating New York like a gorgeous and gigantic piece of cloth

excellent comparison.

Can you edit my NYU supplements, its down below in the thread.
louislbl 1 / 4  
the poem should be 8 lines or less.
autogunny 3 / 72  

that can only be perceived through the guidance of a virtuoso. Who better to do this can Mr. Calvin Klein?
smallick13 - / 26  
I know someone else who picked calvin klein, pick someone interesting like yoko ono. also, all ur thing new yorker, poem, reason shows the same reason learn from your past. i got bored as **** reading it. you might want to change it. sorry make it 3 others picking calvin klein from a diff. site.

is this for freshman or transfer?
smallick13 - / 26  
Mr. Lee, my friend is an admissions essay reader at nyu. here's what he suggested and my input as well. i hope this helps.

1. I would advise you to not pick Calvin Klein (there are many others who are picking him) that are interested in Gallatin.

2. "you are eager to throw yourself into the maze". buddy, u are already in the maze, u just feel a college education will help u further ur pursuits and make more money. just be honest. SAY "I want to make MORE MONEY" and show passion not a quote that doesnt justify your reasoning.

3. ur poem is too long and not very precise in represeting you. its a bunch of jumble mixed up.
OP sakeloga 3 / 16  
Hey thank you smallick13! But it's too late, I already turned my essays in...
gladly I changed Calvin Klein to someone else already!
En, thanks for the critical comments! I will try to avoid them in my next essays!

Would you please also take a look at my newest UNC-Chapel Hill Essay? I will be happy to read yours in return!

Thanks!

Home / Undergraduate / NYU: movie 2050, anticipated academic program, short poem, New Yorker, summer