NYU Supplement - Multiple Prompts + Topic Ideas

Significa 5 / 14  
In addition to any work experience that you listed on your application, please tell us how you spent your most recent summer vacation.
My most recent summer vacation was filled with hard work and preparation for college. I used my time wisely to earn money, study for the ACT, and train for my upcoming fencing season. On some days, I would be found at the Staten Island Fencing Club while on other days I would be studying, working out, or just having fun. However, in the midst of all of this, I was earning money. Through a couple of online websites, I created a mini business to earn money and fund my hobbies.

If you had the opportunity to spend one day in New York City with a famous New Yorker, who would it be and what would you do? (Your New Yorker can be anyone -past or present, fictional or nonfictional - who is commonly associated with New York City; they do not necessarily have to have been born and raised in New York.)

I would spend my day with Heroes character Peter Petrelli. He is a man blessed with superhuman powers and he uses these powers to help the world rather than himself. After having a chat with him, I would try to go along with him in saving the world. We could feed the homeless, secure the public, and help the world. With Peter's power, we could help the world faster than anyone else has done.

Write a haiku, limerick, or short (eight lines or less) poem that best represents you.
There once was a man named Dan,
Oh what a mistaken man,
He done all he should,
But not all he could,
Oh, what has happened to his plan?

OR

A man who knew calculus
Tried something very miraculous.
"Divide by zero"
Exclaimed the hero.
Isn't he just ridiculous?

In the year 2050, a movie is being made of your life. Please tell us the name of your movie and briefly summarize the story line.

"Chen"
Born and raised in the heart of New York, Daniel Chen was a normal teenager who never expected to do anything more than a job at CVS. His life changes when his dad becomes unemployed and Daniel is forced to a life of hard work while trying to maintain his education and social life. This movie explores how the change has paved the path for him to become one of today's corporate titans.

Please tell us what led you to select your anticipated academic program and/or NYU school/college, and what interests you most about your intended discipline.

Business describes my everyday life. I take business classes, earn money, and have parents who are involved in the stock market. That is why I chose New York University as one of my top choices for college. It is located in the heart of New York, a city that I was raised in and love dearly. Furthermore, NYU provides various opportunities for me when I graduate because its excellence in business and its ability to accommodate me to the future location of my career.
alphacat92 3 / 8  
"Furthermore, NYU provides various opportunities for me when I graduate because of its location in New York while accompanying me to location of my future career." I'm not sure what you mean by "while accompanying me to location of my future career". Also, try to elaborate on how NYU's location will benefit (its proximity to the NYSE, etc).

For the movie prompt, maybe elaborate a little more on the life-changing event; remember, it's not an actual movie, so I don't think there is a need to create too much suspense!

Otherwise, good work
fuschiafleur - / 9  
If you're brilliant than why are you doing "not what you should". Also don't just tell us that your brilliant, SHOW us that you're brilliant through your poem.
luminousx 3 / 32  
I would try to go along with him in saving the world. We could feed the homeless, secure the public, and help the world .

Seems redundant.

Born and raise in the heart of New York, Daniel Chen was a normal teenager who never expected to do anything more than a job at CVS. This movie explores the life of Daniel as he enters high school and encounters a life-changing event that changes his mind and later helps to transform him into one of today's corporate titans.

Please elaborate on the "life-changing event." How did it change your mind?

Furthermore, NYU provides various opportunities for me when I graduate because of its location in New York while accompanying me to location of my future career.

A bit confusing here, you may want to reword.

Please read my UChicago essay!
owls 8 / 33  

I'm sorry, I'm just not buying any of these "I'd spend the day feeding the homeless". I guess the guy you chose is okay, but maybe elaborate more on the chat. And I'm not familiar with Heroes, but does this character honestly save the world by using his superhuman powers in soup kitchens? Because that's what this is sounding like.

Too many syllables in the first line. Either replace "brilliant" with a shorter word or get rid of Asian. And you need at least two more syllables in the second line. I don't understand the fourth line. And the last line seems like it should say "had just begun" and you were just trying to make it rhyme.

"Chen"

What's the life-changing event? It's very vague.

Business describes my everyday life. I take classes in business, earn money, and have parents who are involved in the stock market. That is why I chose New York University as one of my top choices for college. It is located in the heart of New York, a city that I was raised in and love dearly. Furthermore, NYU provides various opportunities for me when I graduate because of its location in New York while accompanying me to location of my future career.

There are other schools in New York. Why NYU? Why not Columbia?
qomoco 24 / 107  
, I would try to go along with him in saving the world. We could feed the homeless, secure the public, and help the world. With Peter's power, we could help the world faster than anyone else has done.

no offense, I think you are lieing(and not very creative here).

So you want to major in business, why not choose someone has to do with business? and talk about why you want to major in business etc..
OP Significa 5 / 14  
Hmm, I do genuinely want to help people but since it isn't believable, I've changed it. Any further revisions would be much appreciated :)
sakeloga 3 / 16  
Hello! Your other essays are good enough for me. But I have a concern over the one day with a New Yorker essay. I can tell that you are trying to connect it to business world...but the ending seems like you are going to save the society and even the world. Good imagination though, I can't deny! But I suggest you can rewrite your answer to this question with further reference to the question: ONE DAY in New York, with one New Yorker, what will you do. So instead of "to help our society progress pass its current problems" it may be better to deal with a specific problem inside New York, or some other actions that relate directly to NY.

So my point now is...try to focus more on the topic for that essay.

Best Wishes!
robkim320 2 / 2  
I like your famous newyorker essay with Hiro Nakamura better than with Peter Petrelli. But it seems like your 'one day' must be really busy doing all the time travel and learn stuff. - well may be not because you can control time.

ya, but i recommend u to just throw away peter petrelli one. elaborate Hiro one.
OP Significa 5 / 14  
Hmm, anyone disagree with my other ones?

Also, how about this last line revision on this? It's a bit more concentrated on why I want to talk to him.

READ ABOVE
OP Significa 5 / 14  
Alright after asking a bunch of my friends - I'm down to these two poems. Can anyone suggest which one is better?
Those who studied calculus
Tried to be miraculous...

I was thinking of that for the meter...

Ha ha, I think you have to go with the first one, because the second ends with a bad grammar gaff. Poetic license can't make up for "had just began."

You are clever! Go with the first, though...

Home / Undergraduate / NYU Supplement - Multiple Prompts + Topic Ideas