Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

NYU Supplement numero dos. Public Health program. (1485/1500)

oliviab 1 / 3  
Regardless of whether or not you have an intended major or concentration, please elaborate on an academic area of interest and how you wish to explore it at NYU's campuses in New York or Abu Dhabi or at one of our global academic centers around the world. Please share any activities or experiences you have had that have cultivated your intellectual interests leading you to choose to study at the NYU campus of your choice.

I don't think I ever fully understood the health care industry until I relied on it myself the beginning of my junior year when my medical problems began. Three neurologists, two pediatric oncologists, and one sleep specialist later, it became apparent that being a doctor was not focused as much on the issue of quality patient care as I'd like it to be. When I became involved in the campaign of local Senator, Irene Aguilar, I realized I could be directly involved in promoting the well-being and health of others in ways more meaningful to me than what I would accomplish as a physician.

An M.D. turned politician, Sen. Aguilar's policies were the reason for much needed reform in the way the disabled are cared for in my community. Her progress inspired me to start my own hygiene drive to benefit a women's shelter, and although I am not yet a professional healthcare advocate, I continue to work as a volunteer for her campaign and am eager to do even more.

At NYU, I look forward to taking full advantage of the unique multidisciplinary approach the Public Health program offers. Having a strong understanding of disease, as well as a grounding in areas like economics, statistics, foreign language, and policy will give me the tools I need to confront head on some of the health concerns in our world today not only on a community level, but a global level as well through the incredible study abroad and field research opportunities I'll have as an undergraduate.

Home / Undergraduate / NYU Supplement numero dos. Public Health program. (1485/1500)