NYU Supplements - Belonging and Business

faux_soup 3 / 7  
Just looking for any final opinions/advice before I finally submit tomorrow
Thanks in advance!! :)

1. Why NYU?

What is "belonging"? Perhaps a thin morning mist. Nearly invisible, but undeniably there. Changing your perspective, it glistens under the sunlight, glowing brilliantly. I doubt anything argues for its existence as breathtakingly.

Eagerly advancing through countless emails, message boards and brochures, I can't help but notice certain stereotypes. A "typical" student for a particular college may come off as progressive or conservative, proud or modest, pious or agnostic, theoretical or practical. This is worrisome to me. What if I don't fit the mold? Would I be deprived of the dynamic and fulfilling college community I value so highly? NYU has disposed of this notion of mine. Through observation, through experience and through intuition, I can tell that NYU is, in essence, unconditionally different. NYU takes the concept of diversity and truly stretches it, far beyond the shallow statistics of ethnic and socioeconomic distribution. It is an abstract concept, about breaking invisible barriers, candid correspondence and open-mindedness. It is about a community where everyone and anyone can feel at ease. NYU integrates this with a world class academic institution, leveraging location and unrivaled global network in order to create an enlightening, enlivening and entertaining college experience that will allow me to develop, contribute and harmonize.

So what if I don't fit the mold? At NYU, I will make my own.

2. Regardless of whether or not you have an intended major or concentration, please elaborate on an academic area of interest and how you wish to explore it at NYU's campuses in New York or Abu Dhabi or at one of our global academic centers around the world. Please share any activities or experiences you have had that have cultivated your intellectual interests leading you to choose to study at the NYU campus of your choice.

In many ways, choosing a major is just an extension to a glaringly simple choice we make in life: what we eat. Just as we are often forced to choose between satisfying our taste buds or our love interests, we seek a balance between interest and practicality when singling out a perfect major. Every now and then, there comes along a jewel that accommodates for both. Business to me is like a healthy and tasty snack. It plays to my competitive nature, interpersonal skills, and background in mathematics and technology, which Stern's eight concentrations and over 50 specializations will surely strengthen. Living in four different countries and spending time as an exchange student in two have led me to encounter people of varying world views and has led to my lifelong passion in culture, which will coalesce beautifully with the growing importance of international business and global connections. I find Stern's International studies program is positively captivating: I would love the opportunity to revisit my old home in Hong Kong or Shenzhen to learn, grow and meet familiar faces. As a dedicated volunteer, committed brother, and someone who values the ethics of business just as much as the theory crafting, Stern is the perfect match. I can easily envision myself a part of the Stern Business Ethics Society, a place where finally, I would be able to speak my heart out.

I am a diamond in the rough; business and NYU will refine me.
Through observation, through experience and through intuition, I can tell that NYU is, in essence, unconditionally different.

It is an abstract concept, about breaking invisible barriers, candid correspondence and open-mindedness.---I had to stop here to say you are such an excellent writer!

-----------------------------------

Every now and then, there comes along a jewel that accommodates for both.

Business to me is like a healthy and tasty snack. It plays ---How do you feel about the word 'appeals' here?to my competitive nature, interpersonal skills, and background...

Living in four different countries and spending time as an exchange student in two, have led me to encounter people...

These are great, and I especially liked the ending sentences of part 2. Good luck with school and have fun!

:)
OP faux_soup 3 / 7  
thank you very much susan!!:)

Home / Undergraduate / NYU Supplements - Belonging and Business