NYU supplements .. 500 characters for all the answers

akashnegi 8 / 23  
Hello everybody!

I wrote answers to the NYU supplement. PLEASE GIVE SUGGESTIONS.
I wrote them to the best of my ability but as english is not my 1st lang, pls give VOCAB suggestions. My vocab is too light... THANK YOU FOR READING!

THE LIMIT IS 500 CHARACTERS FOR ALL THE ANSWERS.

In addition to any work experience that you listed on your application, please tell us how you spent your most recent summer vacation.

500 characters.

The summer of 2008 was my first summer in the U.S. This summer I visited India, my motherland and had a lot of fun. My vacation was made special by charity. As a volunteer in UANA, I was supposed to initiate a mass book donation program for a new public library in Uttarakhand state of India. I was also directed to select top students from each district of Uttarakhand to be awarded scholarships for their college education. I did all the aforesaid work and doing so made me feel highly satisfied.

Describe a trait or characteristic that has been passed along to you by your family. Tell us why you like or dislike this aspect of yourself.

500 characters.

Curiosity is the trait that has been passed on to me and it can be traced back to my parents and other family members. I like being curios because it helps me in unraveling the mysteries of certain things that are extremely complex for me, such as the relationship between mind and brain. I am always curios when i see new things. Curiosity has also destroyed many valuables possessions. I recently salvaged my new laptop because of one silly question: "How does the new Solid State hard-drive work?"

New York City is an essential element of academic and cultural life at NYU. If you could engage in an activity or start a club or service organization at NYU, what would it be and how would you envision it impacting the larger community?

500 characters.

Homelessness has for long been a serious problem in the society. I would, if given a chance, try to eliminate this problem. Studies suggest that to get money and shelter, homeless people often take support of crimes like, stealing, robbing, and murders. I would convince everybody to volunteer and nip the problem from its roots. Economic crisis of 2008 has increased the problem manifold. Even if we can't help them financially, we can contact the orphanages and other authorities to help the needy.

You have been selected to sing in a talent show. What song would you choose? Why?

500 characters.

I would choose to sing "Oh! The people of my Motherland" by Lata Mangeshkar. It is a song in Hindi language which is dedicated to the gallant Indian soldiers who fought in the war of 1962. I would choose this song because it shows to us that people today have forgotten the sacrifices made by the soldiers and merely build parks in their honor and forget their sacrifice. The pain, the anger and the shock felt by the close ones of the martyrs is indefinable and it is depicted in this specific song.

Please tell us what led you to select your anticipated academic program and/or NYU school/college, and what interests you most about your intended discipline.

499 charaters.

Even before I came to the U.S., studying Business at the Stern School of business was my dream. Coming from a developing country, I understand the need for good education. NYU not only provides good education to students, but it also fosters a well educated person for today's world of challenges and hurdles. Stern School's rich heritage of more than 100 years has attracted me towards itself. As a business student, I intend of becoming a successful entrepreneur and a social worker for the world.

please give suggestions .. and vocab fixes
Thanks
n00bl3t 3 / 30  
"The summer of 2008 was my first summer in the U.S. This summer I visited India, my motherland and had a lot of fun. My vacation was special because I was doing charity work. As a volunteer in UANA, I was supposed to initiate a mass book donation program for a new public library in Uttarakhand state of India. I was also directed to select top students from each district of Uttarakhand to be awarded scholarships for their college education. I did all the aforesaid work and doing so made me feel highly satisfied."

First you say it was your first summer in the U.S. But the rest of the response doesn't mention anything about your summer here. So leave it out of the response.

The rest of your responses are fine. I think you answered the questions well, with your concise and to the point answers.
OP akashnegi 8 / 23  
thank you very much n00blt.. is there anything else that can be done to improve it? like improving the vocab?..

thanks
I recently salvaged my new laptop because of one silly question: "How does the new Solid State hard-drive work?"Is "salvaged" the right word to use here?

Homelessness has for long been a serious problem in the society. I would, if given a chance, try to eliminate this problem. Studies suggest that, in order to get money and shelter, homeless people often resort to crime. like, stealing, robbing, and murders . If given the chance to do so, I would convince everybody to volunteer and nip the problem from its roots, because, in addition to the fact that people should help one another, it is also true that homelessness affects everyone -- not just the homeless.

I am attracted by Stern School's rich heritage of more than a century. As a business student, I intend to become a successful entrepreneur and a social worker for the world.

:)

Good luck!!

Kevin

Home / Undergraduate / NYU supplements .. 500 characters for all the answers