NYU Supplements- Why NYU, My Major, and Adolf Hitler

janerwang 1 / 1  
I know they're long, so even if you just read one, I'd be eternally grateful!

Why NYU?

I grew up in New York while my father was completing his residency at NYU. I quickly fell in love with the city's vibrant culture and endless possibilities. The sheer size of New York City, and the NYU campus itself, makes new personal experiences and great networking nearly inevitable.

NYU also offers a plethora of learning experiences. Aside from the university's impressive list of academic programs and its dedication to high standards in education, the campus is engulfed in a city rich with world-class museums, diverse backgrounds, and vivid stories.

Furthermore, I am thrilled by the university's global reach. In today's ever-shrinking world, it is crucial to experience and connect to other cultures, especially in a business setting. The many academic centers and flexible programs at NYU make studying abroad so accessible to the students. NYU's emphasis on international experiences demonstrates a progressive attitude and an acute awareness of a quickly changing world.

The dynamic setting, the diversity of the students, and its reputation as an excellent educational institution really set NYU apart.

Regardless of whether or not you have an intended major or concentration, please elaborate on an academic area of interest and how you wish to explore it at NYU's campuses in New York or Abu Dhabi or at one of our global academic centers around the world. Please share any activities or experiences you have had that have cultivated your intellectual interests leading you to choose to study at the NYU campus of your choice.

I hope to study business at NYU- specifically management or marketing. I am excited that the Stern School of Business offers the opportunity to study abroad, and the option of studying a second major/minor.

When I was fifteen years old, I began working in a small, family-owned restaurant as a waitress. I worked closely with the manager, and was quickly familiarized with the details behind running a small business. I was responsible for food and catering preparations. I helped to set up and clean up booths at our local farmer's market and festivals. Being the sole employee (excluding the cook) on weekend mornings, I managed customer complaints, inquiries, and requests. I found that being in control of one's own employment and fulfilling one's dreams are well worth the hard work and demanding hours. I would love to manage a small business in the future, perhaps a small cafe or art gallery.

Over the course of my high school career, I've also helped to coordinate fundraisers and raise awareness for various charities. It is overwhelmingly rewarding to know that the hours put into presenting the problems and pushing for change were able to make a difference in the world. I have considered studying marketing and communications in hopes that I can continue my work for non-profit organizations professionally in the future.

I believe that NYU's emphasis on global experiences and a well-rounded education, as well as its reputation for excellence, would help me in fulfilling my dreams.

What intrigues you?

I've always been fascinated by the rise of Adolf Hitler and Nazi Germany.
Arguably the most infamous leader in history, Hitler was responsible for the death of 11 million, 6 million of which were Jews, during the Holocaust. His crimes against humanity are regarded as horrific and devastating in our modern society. He has been labeled the devil, a sociopath, and a madman. As Rabbi Julius Rosenthal wrote, however, "madmen do not lead nations." Adolf Hitler was adored, revered, and perhaps even deified by millions.

The atrocities behind which a nation so nonchalantly stood, shed light on the danger of the hivemind, particularly one which is vulnerable in its desperation and resentment. In the early 1930s, Germany was left disgraced and in abject poverty, ravaged by a world war and an severely punitive treaty. In January of 1933, six million Germans were unemployed. On January 30, 1933, Adolf Hitler was appointed Chancellor, and by 1936, there was full employment in Germany, mostly attributed to Hitler's call for remilitarization. By August 19, 1934, 90% of Germans voted to give Adolf Hitler total power. Hitler was elected to power. He had won the majority of the German people over through tangible, observable achievements and invigorating charisma.

Adolf Hitler provided Germany with their needs-- jobs, hope, and a scapegoat. In return, they gave him their loyalty and faith. They blindly followed and aided him in one of the world's most gruesome genocides.
gotpho 4 / 19  
I do not think that your response to the "What intrigues you?" question was sufficient enough. It seems to me more like a history paper. Rather than bogging the reader down with numbers, you aren't writing a persuasive essay, you should focus more on why this topic appeals to you. I get a sense that you are intrigued by how extreme the situation was, but rather than letting the reader infer you should tell them. The reader doesn't want to know about Hitler, they want to know about you and what type of person you are. You should be the main focus of this response, not Hitler. Use him as a means to tell them about you.
vanipinto2005 2 / 1  
I agree with gotpho. When i read it, i was learning more about Hitler than you, which i don't think is in your favor. What about what he did intrigued YOU? do you now find yourself weary of people with power or have you become less of a conformist and more of a this-makes-no-sense-why-would-i-support-you kind of person?

Also, for the second response, you're way to blunt. Try to ease them into how and why you're interested in marketing. It sounds very out of place, especially compared to how rhythmic your other responses are.

Best of LUCK!
OP janerwang 1 / 1  
gotpho
Welp, you're right. Is this better?

Arguably the most infamous leader in history, Hitler was responsible for the death of 11 million during the Holocaust. His crimes against humanity are regarded as horrific in our modern society. He has been labeled the devil, a sociopath, and a madman. As Rabbi Julius Rosenthal wrote, however, "madmen do not lead nations."

On August 19, 1934, 90% of Germans voted to give Adolf Hitler total power. Hitler was elected to power. He had won the majority of the German people over through tangible, observable achievements and invigorating charisma. Adolf Hitler was adored, revered, and deified by millions.

The atrocities behind which a nation so nonchalantly stood, shed light on the danger of the hivemind, particularly one which is vulnerable in its desperation and resentment. Adolf Hitler provided the German people with their needs: jobs, hope, and a scapegoat. In return, they gave him their loyalty. They blindly followed him in one of the world's most gruesome genocides.

The rise of Adolf Hitler chips away at my faith in humanity. It demonstrates that in the worst of times, humans are merely beasts. Despite our ravings about civilization and moral conduct, the majority of human beings would trade the lives of neighbors for food and some glimmer of hope. We would kill the innocent, out of fear, blind faith, or peer pressure. The worst circumstances bring out the true nature of people. We are only animals.
TheAphasic - / 1  
Hrm. Two things.
1. It doesn't tell enough about you. The premise is that "Humans are depraved," but where does that lead you? How did the realization come to affect, change, shape, etc.

2. Why is it intriguing? Why does it interest you? Has it had some sort of personal impact?

See, it all eventually boils down to how this interest or fascination reveals things about you. Answering what the fascination is only half the question. You did attempt to do it with the last bit of the essay, but I feel that the bulk of the essay is taken up by just facts. Interesting facts, to be sure, but I think the colleges would prefer you divert that space to talk more about yourself.

Oh, and a random note (feel free to ignore)
It seems to be a tad... dark, no?
"We would kill the innocent, out of fear, blind faith, or peer pressure. The worst circumstances bring out the true nature of people. We are only animals."

Perhaps that's true, (but my personal philosophy is irrelevant here)
Too dark, too dark! Just playing with the Devil's advocate, but what about not so horrible acts?
If it was me, I would go with
"Of course, it is easy to fall into the view of the cynic. But I realized that what "war" does is bring out the character within people, not turn them into beasts. It reveals what's within us. What were are by nature. Atrocities were committed. But so were acts of kindness, mercy, and affection." But hey, what do I know *shrug*

Home / Undergraduate / NYU Supplements- Why NYU, My Major, and Adolf Hitler