NYU Supplements - New Yorker, Poem, Movie, Intended discipline

kryabut 1 / 10  
Hey guys! I know, this is SUCH short notice, but I just really wanted to get some quick input on my essays before I send them out tonight. Anything would be great, thanks!

If you had the opportunity to spend one day in New York City with a famous New Yorker, who would it be and what would you do? (Your New Yorker can be anyone -past or present, fictional or nonfictional - who is commonly associated with New York City; they do not necessarily have to have been born and raised in New York.)

I 'd love to spend a day in NYC with Oscar Hammerstein II, whose collaboration with fellow New York composer Richard Rodgers produced the most successful American musical theater songwriting duo of all time. Singing "Oh, what a beautiful morning!", we'd stroll down NYC's Broadway district and catch his famed South Pacific at the Vivian Beaumont Theater on West 65th Street. Contrary to what Rodgers and Hammerstein once wrote, the streets - not the hills - would be alive with the sound of music.

Write a haiku, limerick, or short (eight lines or less) poem that best represents you.

A Near-Death Experience
Drowning in the depths of injustice and hate
I have no money, but I have heart.
Reaching past the trapped, lost to greed and war
I grasp the hands of my sisters and brothers
They are still human, like me.
Breaking through the surface now; I have saved them
The air is so nice up here
I can breathe.

In the year 2050, a movie is being made of your life. Please tell us the name of your movie and briefly summarize the story line.

Spirit Wars: It's 2027, and Joseph Kony - leader of the now disbanded Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) of child soldiers - stands trial in the UN International Criminal Court for 12 counts of crimes against humanity. Katherine Yabut is the reputable international lawyer appointed the reluctant head of Kony's defense. In her own spirit war, Katherine's career, reputation, and relations with loved ones hang in the balance as she struggles with her morals and protecting the world's most hated man.

Please tell us what led you to select your anticipated academic program and/or NYU school/college, and what interests you most about your intended discipline.

I've always loved politics and debate. Now I'm talking years of religiously watching Law and Order, earning awards at conferences as part of my school's Model UN club, and even arguing the benefits of driving to my mother. Pursuing law would be more than a career for me; it is the perfect pairing of a lifelong passion and a lifelong profession. NYU, with opportunities and resources like its Undergraduate Law Society and NYC Law School Forum, would more than prepare me for that brave new world.
Shelby13092 2 / 6  
I'm applying to NYU too, and also like you I've been a major procrastinator and have left things to the last minute.

I think all of your answers are really well organized and creative. I'm desperately in love with South Pacific so you already have me sold on the first one. The poem is very deep and insightful as to the type of person you are. When you mentioned taking the hands of your brothers and sisters it really shows your desire to reach out and help people which is often times what you have to fight to do in politics. So overall, I thought all of your answers were entertaining, insightful, and also very easy to understand which is very very important.

I didn't notice any mistakes but, seeing as how I'm no english teacher, another quick check over may be a good idea.

Also, I'm applying to the Film Program at Tisch and I just posted my essay up for any last minute advice. If you could read it over it would be so much appriciated. Thanks.
ddragonx34 7 / 22  
she struggles with her morals

I feel like there should be a "between" in there after struggles?? At least, I think that's what you're getting at.

Anyway, I'm sure NYU will be happy to have you! You really come off as an excited candidate in this supp. I like it! :D

That's the new yorker one!
mcsingson /  
I love your poem :)

As for your famous New Yorker prompt, it doesn't really say much about you except that you like music. Maybe specify why you love Hammerstein or what his musicals mean to you.

For your prompt about how much you love law and debate, you do a good job making it personal and talking about what you've done that reflects your passion, but perhaps you can talk more about why you chose to apply to NYU. You say NYU has "opportunities and resources" but that's a little vague, try to be more specific.

Overall, great job :)
citysparrow27 - / 5  
I think all of your answers were well organized and you made good use of the character constraint. I am also applying to NYU and interested in international relations and/or political science with a pre-law focus so I enjoyed reading the last one. I also did Model UN haha. But as far as I can tell, this is great. I posted my supplements up last minute for NYU so, if you get the chance, I'd really appreciate some feedback. Thanks and Good Luck!
OP kryabut 1 / 10  
Thanks guys! I've made the corrections you suggested, so hopefully they're sound.

citysparrow27, I'd love to look at your stuff but it wasn't listed as posted under your name?

Good luck to everyone else!
davidgoes 5 / 13  
I really enjoyed your new yorker one,but I would try to add why you like Hammerstein and what he reflects in you. Your movie idea is very creative and so is your poem. Maybe for your last one infuse your passion for helping others into your future career because i see a theme of a helping hand in your poem?
citysparrow27 - / 5  
hey so I don't know why my last post disappeared haha but its up there now, I'd really appreciate a look! thanks!
OP kryabut 1 / 10  
Woops, sorry guys, forgot this part:

In addition to any work experience that you listed on your application, please tell us how you spent your most recent summer vacation.

This summer I camped in Virginia, went to Montréal, and visited my father, who works and lives in Arizona. I also participated in a program called Lead for Diversity. For a week, students from all over New Jersey stayed at the Poconos, deprived of any contact with the outside world - including our parents. A group of strangers became a family as we learned how to fight discrimination in others, and most importantly, ourselves. It was an experience that has since truly changed my life.

Hmm I still don't see it up there citysparrow27, can you post a link?
davidgoes 5 / 13  
I think you should focus more on the Lead for Diversity since it was the main meat of your essay. The beginning felt more like a list of activities that were insignificant.

Could you please read my nyu one too thank you!
citysparrow27 - / 5  
This is super last minute but I would really appreciate any help or suggestions about my NYU supplements. Thanks!!

Please tell us how you spent your most recent summer vacation.

-This past summer was a busy one -- I visited several schools in Colorado and California on a road trip with my family, volunteered in the UNM Hospital Emergency and Pediatric Departments, and recorded my original music at an award-winning production studio in Albuquerque. In addition, I wrote three new songs, helped my mother redecorate our house, and researched non profit organizations that are in need of volunteers this coming summer in countries such as Thailand, South Africa, and Peru.

If you had the opportunity to spend one day in NYC with a famous New Yorker, who would it be and what would you do?

-I would love to spend a day in New York with my favorite author: the talented and intriguingly private J.D. Salinger. We would begin our day at a coffee shop, observing the people who passed us by and guessing at what their stories might be. Later, strolling through Central Park, I might finally have the chance to ask him what inspired "A Perfect Day for Bananafish". After a day filled with discussing the weird and wonderful, I would be left with a slightly more eccentric view of the world.

Write a haiku, limerick, or short poem that best represents you.

-The world is my canvas
begging for a stroke of genius
Hour by hour, day by day, month by month
my glistening eyes shift over an endless palette of colors
What will I create?
Slowly, with steady hands
I will make my mark, bright and beautiful

In the year 2050, a movie is being made of your life. Please state the name of your movie and briefly summarize the story line.
-"A Mosaic of Sounds" tells the story of Marie Paoli, a Foreign Service officer who, beginning in North Africa, travels the globe, dedicated to bringing about peace and freedom in struggling regions of developing nations. As she fights for political change, the musical heritage of each area captures her attention, and she begins working to create a musical exchange between the regions she encounters - a program that just might bring about unexpected worldwide change and understanding.

-My interest in international relations began at a young age, as I grew up in the museum where my mom worked, a place that featured exhibits and demonstrations by ethnic groups worldwide. Since then, an interest in politics has combined with my culturally enriched childhood to form a passion to study international affairs and political science. I feel that in the era of a global economy, effective and peaceful international negotiations are more important than ever for the success of all nations..
OP kryabut 1 / 10  
citysparrow27, I LOVED your short answers. Not only do they greatly reflect my interests as well, but your experiences are so interesting and original!

For the summer prompt you certainly did do a lot, but I would elaborate a little on at least one aspect of it.

Your New Yorker prompt is great! Let me just suggest this:
I imagine I would be left with a slightly more eccentric view of the world.
In this short answer you're just speculating what your reactions would be since it hasn't really happened. But honestly it sounds good the way it is also :).

Everything else is just great. Best of luck to you!

Home / Undergraduate / NYU Supplements - New Yorker, Poem, Movie, Intended discipline