NYU Supplements; Zenith + Escape Little Town + Eugene Ionesco

Hannover96 4 / 17  
1. Please tell us what led you to select both your anticipated academic area(s) of study and the NYU school / college / program or the Abu Dhabi campus. What interests you most about your intended discipline? Mention any extracurricular or non-school-related activities or experiences that demonstrate your interest. (500 characters)

NYU is in essence a zenith of all I love and appreciate in the world- it's superior in my interests of study and a pinnacle of a diverse, psychologically inspiring university. As a multifaceted student, my intended areas of study are International Relations, Law, and English. As a NYU student I hope to combine all three. As captain and lead attorney for my school's Mock Trial team I've learned to respect the power of diplomacy and words and will continue to use these skills in my NYU experience.

2. NYU is 'In and of the City' and 'In and of the World.' What does the concept of a global network university mean to you? How do you think studying in New York City, Abu Dhabi, or one of NYU's global sites would change you as a person and equip you to build cross cultural relationships at NYU and beyond? (500 characters)

Coming from a small, coastal town in California, I know the benefits of an intimate neighborhood. But being raised in a relatively homogenous community has also fostered a powerful need within me- to be a part of a global community, one that will encourage immense growth for both my mind and soul. I know I'll thrive with the world at my fingertips. NYU is my first choice in higher education because, in my opinion, it's the best example of a school devoted to diversity and progress in existence.

3. If you had the opportunity to bring any person - past or present, fictional or nonfictional - to a place that is special to you (your hometown or country, a favorite location, etc) who would you bring and why? Tell us what you would share with that person. (500 characters)

I performed as a lead in a play of his as a junior, and I've remained in love ever since- absurd dramatist Eugene Ionesco would be my dream date for a trip to Eastern Germany. Nearby Hannover there lies a blueberry farm, abundant with humming bees and fertile branches of "blaubeere" bushes. In my visits to Germany I found the farm to be a source of peace in its subtle beauty. I imagine that walking beside Eugene, listening to his contemplation of a simple blueberry, would be hugely enlightening.
Jpuck 4 / 28  
the benefits of an intimate neighborhood. But being raised in a relatively homogenous community has also fostered a powerful need within me- to be a part of a global community

- I don't know that you need the dash between "me" and "to"
- Homogeneous is the proper spelling.

NYU is my first choice in higher education because, in my opinion, it's the best example of a school devoted to diversity and progress in existence.

- I don't think the comma between "because" and "in" is necessary.
- I know you're working with a stringent character limit, but how do you know NYU is the best example?

I performed as a lead in a play of his as a junior, and I've remained in love ever since- absurd dramatist Eugene Ionesco

- I think this sentence is a little awkward, you might want to play with it. Perhaps: "After playing a lead in a play of Eugene Ionesco's, I have been in love ever since..." or something.

Overall, good responses!
nicoler22 3 / 4  
All of your answers are very well written and answer the prompts. I know it is hard with the 500 character limit to answer these questions, I too applied to NYU, but I feel as though all of your answers are kind of pompous and you tend to show off a lot. Instead of using those large words, NYU would rather you take up their 500 character limit describing you more than using beautiful language. In such a short limit instead of using words like "essence a zenith of all I love and appreciate in the world" say what you love and appreciate in the world.

If NYU was looking to see how well you can write they would look at your essay, which doesn't have a limit. But since they give you only so many characters to use, take advantage of that by writing about yourself rather than showing off your skills.
OP Hannover96 4 / 17  
That was exactly what I was thinking when I wrote them! I used a wider vocabulary to allude to my interest in English, but in all honesty I think they sound pompous too. Thank you so much for your reply, and I'll take a look at your essays in return :)
knattagh 3 / 13  
This is very nice,

Although I have heard that it is nice if you write "it is" instead of "it's"

I agree with Jpuck, your first sentence of essay 3 is awkward.
Also, in that same essay I would write "During my visits to Germany" instead of in my visits

Also, please check out my essay on extra curricular, I did a re-write and it is on the bottom of the page that the original essay is on.

Thanks
Jen_rhymesw_Ten 4 / 11  
paragraph one:
To go off of Nicoler22, I think that you should use "As a NYU student I hope to combine all three" to describe yourself a bit more by explaining how you plan on using all three International Relations, Law, and English.

paragraph two:
"one that will encourage immense growth for both my mind and soul. I know I'll thrive with the world at my fingertips." Also elaborate on these two statements and let admissions how you it will grow your mind and soul. Explain what would you do with the world at your fingertips.

paragraph three:
I find that paragraph three is fine as is.
genevieveedu 5 / 14  
You seem to be right on track. 'Multifaceted' is a perfect descriptor without being too braggy.
Well done, these are very, very good.

P.S. I grew up in a small coastal town in California as well, you worded it perfectly.
cdyal87 3 / 15  
NYU Supplement 1: I did not perceive, while reading, that the writer is a pretentious pedantic:). It was eloquent and creative. I would suggest that you address your interests about your major.

NYU Supplement 2: Powerful beginning, but you begin to lose celerity half way through. I would revise the last sentence so that it correlates with the previous sentence but introduces how this necessity will be found at NYU and utilized.

NYU Supplement 3: Nice place for a date and great description. I would explain how he could relate to the surroundings. Is he a naturalist? A modernist? I know you said absurb, but Jean Paul Sartre was an absurdist, and I know that he would love to contemplate the freedom of the bees! Also, you do not address what you would share with him. Keep in mind that when you take someone on a date, you pick someone that you can learn from as well as share a passion with. Why would this date appeal to Eugene?

Home / Undergraduate / NYU Supplements; Zenith + Escape Little Town + Eugene Ionesco