Why Oberlin (grow into a scholar and an activist)

prepies04 5 / 12  
Given your interests, values, and goals, explain why Oberlin College will help you grow (as a student and a person) during your undergraduate years.

I attend school in rural Georgia, where I am the only international student in most of my classes and activities. I didn't want to be an outsider, so I have tried to fit in. Fitting in, however, often entailed uncomfortably disguising my Korean identity. I yearned for a diverse and open community where I could be myself.

I soon discovered that few colleges in America are as devoted to diversity as Oberlin, where 12 percent of the students come from nearly 50 foreign countries. Oberlin offers generous assistance to international students, both financially and emotionally. After learning about the extraordinary commitment to openness and diversity, I became convinced that Oberlin is where I can be an active member of the campus community without changing who I am.

I can also pursue my academic aspirations at Oberlin. In my undergraduate research project on the evolution of swamp sparrows, I was thrilled to witness natural selection at work in the real world. With the superb resources of the Science Center and caring faculty, I will be able to perform more advanced research at Oberlin. The focus on science education in a liberal arts setting provides an optimal environment for me to satisfy my intellectual curiosity in various fields.

Furthermore, Oberlin has a long legacy of social engagement which began in 1835, when it became the first college to admit students without regard to race. Oberlin students are individuals "who care about the world, who believe they can make it a better place, and who have the courage to try." As a young teenager concerned about animal rights, I am confident Oberlin will help me grow into a mature activist who brings an impact to this world.

Oberlin is a diverse community which will help me grow into a scholar and an activist. What more could I ask for?
dlanki - / 24  
good essay. just a minor suggestion.

As a young teenager concerned about animal rights, I am confident Oberlin will help me grow into a mature activist who brings an impact to this world.---How? you also mention being an activist in your last paragraph but you never explain the how. I would suggest deleting the activism point or , if you feel it is important, develop it further.

generally, good essay.

Home / Undergraduate / Why Oberlin (grow into a scholar and an activist)