Obstacles in your academic or personal life. Common App UCF critique

nostalgiaxo 1 / -  
This is my first time using this, I need some advice and pointers. Feel free to correct my grammar and fix my mistakes. Please and thank you! This is the first of my essays.

1.If there has been some obstacle or "bump in the road," in your academic or personal life, please explain the circumstances.

Everyone has giants to face, mountains to climb, and stars to reach. Without the necessary resources it is a very difficult road to go down before goals are accomplished. I have never had things handed to me on a silver platter. Due to my circumstances, I had to fight for everything that I have ever obtained. Sometimes I wish my peers were understanding. People laughing and pointing at the holes in my shirts or the year-old sneakers I wore weren't exactly encouraging. A few years ago, my parents made some decisions that hurt us financially, and it made serious changes in our everyday lifestyle. I was hoping that was the only obstacle that would be thrown in our direction, but unfortunately, things spiraled downhill after that. My mom lost her job, my dad's pay got deducted, and the bills started piling up. Things were hard for us; there were years where it was extremely difficult to purchase school supplies. Yet, I never let this obstacle discourage me. Sure I never had the latest iPhone or the nicest pair of shoes, but my parents made sure that I had everything that I needed to do well. My parents always went out of their way to make their children happy, so in return, I go out of my way to make them proud. I always remind myself that sunshine comes after the rain.
srp284cave 4 / 11  
there were years where it was extremely difficult to purchase school supplies. Should be WHEN instead of WHERE

overall, this is a heartfelt, genuine piece of writing. is there a maximum word limit, cause if there isn't you should go into the specifics of one critical circumstance. All your topics are general, but going in depth into one of the issues you had, it would solidify your essay!

Home / Undergraduate / Obstacles in your academic or personal life. Common App UCF critique