Occidental Supplement: Why Oxy, Interests, Book, Habit

JVan09 2 / 2  
Occidental Supplement
2. Why Oxy?

Since there are thousands of colleges to choose from, when I first started my college search during my junior year I couldn't help but feel overwhelmed. However, as I began to narrow down my options, I realized exactly what it was I wanted from a college. Occidental College embodies the things I look for in a school. Occidental has great programs, a diverse student body, and a sense of community. As a smaller liberal arts school, Oxy has a tighter knit group of students than that at a larger university, a community I would enjoy being a part of. It location in Los Angeles almost guarantees a diverse student body and college experience. Oxy also offers unique programs such as Oxy at the United Nations, and my dream is to one day work for the United Nations.

3. Choose a book you have read in the last year and clarify its effect

Reading has always been one of my favorite pastimes. I often find myself reading multiple books outside of school. I enjoy the feeling I experience when I discover another world outside of my own. On my bookshelf you can find anything from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen to The Vampire Armand by Anne Rice. As a result, my shelves are overflowing with books; I continue to recycle them.

One of the more meaningful books I've read this year was Candide by Voltaire. Candide is French for optimism and coincidentally, the name of the main character. What I like most about Candide is how easy he is to relate to. Throughout the novel he experiences unfortunate event after unfortunate event and slowly becomes disillusioned with his life. He rejects his initial philosophy of "everything is for the best in this best of all possible worlds", and instead adopts the philosophy "We must cultivate our garden". The phrase "We must cultivate our garden" is something I understand. So many people spend their lives trying to do the impossible, or looking for some hidden meaning instead of just looking at what's in front of them. From Candide I have learned that "our garden" is our potential as human beings and we must strive to be the best we can be.

4. What are your current intellectual or academic curiosities?

The subtleties of human speech have always captivated me. I've often times wondered how much more interesting life would be if I could understand everyone from all parts of the globe. Growing up in Southern California, I was surrounded by many people from a variety of ethnic and racial backgrounds. I enjoyed learning about the cultures and languages of my friends whether they came from Bosnia or Indonesia. My love of languages is one of the reasons why I have chosen to pursue a major in International Relations.

5. Identify and describe a personal habit--of any nature- that best describes you.
My bedroom is from all outward appearances normal; it contains the typical bed, bookshelf, and a nightstand. However my desk is anything but normal. Aside from the normal clutter, it's covered with sticky notes and torn pieces of paper. To anyone else these pieces of paper might look like junk, but to me they all hold a meaning. Whenever I get an idea or learn something new, big or small, I have to write it down. (Not really sure what else to do...)
zahras93 1 / 20 2  
JVan09

and my dream is to one day work for the United Nations

Emphasize more on why you want to work for the United Nations?

I really like #3!

To anyone else these pieces of paper might look like junk, but to me they all hold a meaning. Whenever I get an idea or learn something new, big or small, I have to write it down.

Umm.. okay no offense - i imagined this when i read what you wrote - an untidy table covered with bits and pieces of paper everywhere! Or if you want what you could do is: To anyone else these pieces of paper might look like junk, but to me they all hold a meaning. Whenever I get an idea or learn something new, big or small, I have to write it down.

Good Luck! Please read my essay:
citysparrow27 - / 5  
just a thought...i think you need to write a lot more on all of the questions..i'm applying to oxy too and i know it's a 1000 word max so I would say write at least 750 if not more..
marycornell 2 / 19  
it's actually 1000 or 2000 character max. :D
ScatterBrain 3 / 28  
The char limit is actually 2000 for all.

I think q's 3 and 4 have repetitive opening lines. They are a bit general and can be a little more interesting.

Home / Undergraduate / Occidental Supplement: Why Oxy, Interests, Book, Habit