Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

When is it okay to escape reality? Essay (PSEO at the University of MN Admission)

Rkerur 2 / 2  
I definitely need to elaborate and phrase things differently! Any feedback is helpful.

Fantasy is escapist, & that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned, don't we consider it his duty to escape?
J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you think it's every okay to escape reality? When is it okay and when is it not?

Reality is a mystery. I believe that everyone looks at life in a completely different way. Children, who simply run around on the playground, their only priority being not to get tagged. Teenagers, who focus on the fact that prom is in a month, and don't have a date. Adults, who can barely comprehend all the things that have piled up on their daily to-do list. For some people, their reality becomes a chore. Whether it be healthy or unhealthy and short-term or long-term, people do lose touch with reality.

I sat on my bed and pulled out my book after a long and rigorous day of school. The words were whirling through my head, and I couldn't stop reading.The make-believe had taken over, and I had not even noticed. Glancing at the clock, it read 2 am. How did I get here? In any case, it was time for bed, and I knew it. The end of the chapter crept closer. I quickly finished reading it and closed it shut. My daily-dose of the unreal was accomplished, and waited for me tomorrow night.

If escaping reality serves the purpose of taking a quick breather or for getting your mind off things, then you are taking appropriate advantage of it. You could read a book, watch a movie, or anything that gives you those few moments of relaxation.

There are people that rather than face their reality, hide from it. For example, a girl who hides herself from all of the makeup she applies everyday. This routine of putting on loads of makeup becomes a habit, and something that is very hard to break away from. Makeup becomes something she relies on and the only way she can face the outside world, her reality.

Home / Undergraduate / When is it okay to escape reality? Essay (PSEO at the University of MN Admission)