Old Man and The Sea / Columbia University supp/ Meaningful book

Udensi 3 / 7  
Please tell us what you found meaningful about one of the above mentioned books, publications or cultural events.
As a boy who likes adventurous novels, I fall into a minority group. But there is a reason for this weird affinity. That origin is The book the Old Man and The Sea which added more meaning to the quote 'The patient dog gets the fattest bone'.The book is about an an old, experienced Cuban fisherman named Manolin and a large marlin.He goes out to the sea and stays for 84 days without a fish.He is despised by the other fishermen and the villagers, due to his ill luck. Notwithstanding this he remains strong and hopeful that a fish will come his way some day.His courage in leaving his setting to pursue something that seemed hard to achieve resonates with me.On a fateful day his hook catches a marlin,a very large fish, which he could not pull towards the shore rather the fish drew him out to the ocean.In this case this serves as a great challenge and most especially I love the way he takes control of the situation by holding steadfast to the hook for close to three day Like Manolin, I seek to achieve success through patience and experience. I am interested in engineering, and wish to be accepted into Columbia university so I will strive the way Manolin did and hope that I finally get achieve my goal which is to get accepted . At Columbia I will tackle every challenge I face the way Manolin did, I will embrace opportunities to grow academically and personally, and interact with many wonderfully unique people so that I may eventually, like Manolin, achieve my dream someday.

Please tell us what you find most appealing about Columbia and why.

Whenever I think of excellence in education Columbia comes to my mind.Also whenever I think about the best among the best Columbia comes to my mind.My education would not be complete without me having a chance to go to the great Columbia University.Being a professional engineer would only be possible if i can be given a chance to go to Columbia University.Being a qualified Chemical Engineer is my goal and I find Columbia University as the only university that would provide the best resources and teaching standard that would equip me with adequate skills for future practice . The research and cutting edge science involved in this department is in accordance with current technological developments. Chemical engineering would provide a keystone for further studies into Petroleum Engineering which is an area that interests me.

For applicants to Columbia College, please tell us what from your current and past experiences (either academic or personal) attracts you specifically to the field or fields of study that you noted in the Application Data section. If you are currently undecided, please write about any field or fields in which you may have an interest at this time.

With the increase in the rate of oil spillages,oil well fires, and other life threatening events in the oil field being at the constant rise in Nigeria, my passion is to put things in place in this industries developed.Living in a community where I see numerous university graduates with mere certificates proofing there education but they lack the skills to practice. It has always been a thing that baffles me and aches my heart.I am happy that I have the opportunity to attend school in the United States not only to graduate as a qualified Chemical/Petroleum Engineer but to go back to Nigeria and make things right.Nigeria being one of the world's largest oil producers end up wasting most of its but if only I could get a chance to study Chemical Engineering here in America,I could go back and make sure that the resources in Nigeria is harnessed maximally.
ll931110 7 / 15 3  
For your second essay, you need to go deeper. Find specific reasons why Columbia appeals you and not other places among Ivies or other top schools.

There are also a few grammar errors in your essays (three day, an an old man, some issues with tenses and conditional statements). Overall, it really shows your capacity and aspiration. I believe that you are doing fine. Good luck!

P/S: Can you review my essays as well?
OP Udensi 3 / 7  
thanks .i just put this together now and i haven't proofread it so i wanted t to be criticized so i could modify it at the same time
shad81 2 / 3  
you have a good attitude in writing this letter. good luck!
kevinmojica56 - / 6  
dude the first one is decent, can i know your gpa and Sat cause i think you're a show in if they're good enough lol
QWERTY1995 3 / 8  
Whenever I think of excellence in education Columbia comes to my mind.Also whenever I think about the best among the best Columbia comes to my mind.My education would not be complete without me having a chance to go to the great Columbia University.

Too generic. Those sentences are weak in that 1. you are telling them what they already know. and 2. "best among the best Columbia comes to my mind" and "education would not be complete without me having a chance to go to the great " is sucking up too much and sounds shallow.

Good Luck!
OP Udensi 3 / 7  
oh well I have actually restructed it. and thanks..so much
ticklelisaelmo 8 / 42 3  
For the second essay, elaborate more on what Columbia has to offer you. You keep praising Columbia, but be specific. What exactly makes columbia so great?

Home / Undergraduate / Old Man and The Sea / Columbia University supp/ Meaningful book