Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

About "One Child Policy" for common app

amymao 1 / 1  
Discuss some issue of personal, local, national, or international concern and its importance to you.

Be careful to keep the "importance to you" at the heart of your essay. It's easy to get off track with this essay topic and start ranting about global warming, Darfur, or abortion. The admissions folks want to discover your character, passions and abilities in the essay; they want more than a political lecture.

I am a girl who have never give birth to a child, but also do excellent job on changing diapers, teaching basic knowledge on play the piano and play basketerall to three years old kids, and acting a good raconteur. How can I do that? Let me introduce to you this complex and meaningful experience.

China is known for its "One Child Policy" which is a family planning policy introduced in 1978 and enforced to first-born children in 1979. Urban couples are restricted to only have one child while rural couples and parents without any siblings are exempted. It was created to limit population growth and lessen social, economic, and environmental problems in China but it also has some negative social consequences and implications such as increase forced abortions, abandonment, neglect and female infanticide. Though fines are imposed based on the income of the family and other considerations, there are still many Chinese citizens that continue to have more than one child such as my parents.

When I was 15 years old, my mother was pregnant. I was surprised because my parents consulted me about this and told me that they would like to listen to my opinion because I am a member of my family. They carefully explained that they have this second child not because I am a female. At first I opposed the idea of bringing to life my younger brother who even has gap of 15 years and will have no in common interests with me . But my father said that a child is a gift from God and that this precious life should not be harmed. During that time there are many people visit our home and I could not share this news to anybody. Also, it was during this time that I am facing the pressure of high school examination for the last six months. I had nowhere to tell or to cry even included my parents who hold heavy pressure at same time. After my younger brother Ryan was born, I do have to keep this secret to everyone. As a Chinese high school student, I have the responsibility to work hard on my study. However, some behaviors or activities, which are unconscious made by Ryan, always anger me so that I often 'bully' him at first. But as he grew up, I began to appreciate his lovely and clever side and I would always find myself involuntary applauding him. Whenever I came home from school, I always give him a big hug and sweet kiss. Most important, I learn a lot that is not from textbooks about thanksgiving as well as love.

My experience as a volunteer at Wuhan Children Welfare Institute taking care of children age 3 to 4 also opened my mind. I realized that due to the "one child policy" some handicapped children were neglected and abandoned. They may not be as intelligent and have healthy body like children raised in their own family but they are still human beings who have feelings and needed love and affection. I played with them, laughed with them and shared stories to them. They considered me as their own older sister to the point that they were crying whenever I leave. My love for them and deep interactions between them do exactly surprised my co-volunteers and also won high praises from the teachers in the welfare institute. Besides, I learned more information about children abandoned these day and age and met several "parents" who are willing to adopt those poor kids without any repay. At times that I were despondent and have some worries, all of these sadness and troubles are gone and I just have a relaxed mind and spirit whenever I am with these innocent children.This valuable experience had inspired me to write the article "Unforgettable Laugh" which was published in Wuhan Newspaper to appeal for concern of abandoned children.

Working as a student journalist in Ping An Yixiang Pension Insurance had also exposed me to the other implication of the "one child policy." I realized the pressure that a "one child couple" faces in supporting four old aged people. One has to have a pension insurance plan so that they will not be a burden to their 'only child' in the future unlike many old people who has many children and grandchildren supporting them.

I do believe that the one child policy has some good and bad implications. It can really alleviate some problems but at the same time it also becomes the problem to itself to some couples as it creates fear and pressure of abortion and infanticide. There was a study that more than 70% of the population supports"more than one-child"policy . To weigh the general pros and cons to a country of a policy which has been implemented for many years is really hard. Nevertheless, with a innocent life, a couple who have to try best to afford the fine and have the financial capacity to raise the child should not think "the one child policy" as an alibi to abortion, neglect and abandonment.

please review and give me feedback, thx a lot!! :)

Home / Undergraduate / About "One Child Policy" for common app