'One father, one teacher' - a person who has influenced you in a significant way

Paul Jo 6 / 29  
Please somebody help me revise my essay.

Tell us about a person who has influenced you in a significant way.

One father, one teacher

My father was different from any other parents who would force their children to go to school. Instead, he decided to home-school me and my brother, him being the counselor who designs each and every course and curricular we would follow. Few years before he made this irregular plan, he was originally a well-respected diplomat, one of the most difficult occupations an individual can have in Korea. However, he abandoned his precious career for our sake without a single sign of hesitation.

Unlike conventional Korean educational system, which emphasizes only of stuffing simple facts and terms (of which he thought was so unproductive and time consuming) into students, my father led the classes mainly as a form of debate, always demanding for the 'reasons' we made for our conclusions. He marked clear distinction between passive and active learning, and trained us not to be bound in bias and prejudice. He never compelled me to be have certain dreams, but helped me find the most appropriate goal and pursue for the career I was deeply interested.

My intimacy with father grew tight as the time pass by. I could not think of having teachers other than him. I was free to express any idea I hold, and object to his opinion during the debate, through which I learned to think in a deeper level. Instead of just instilling simple facts written on textbooks, he would let us 'feel' the knowledge by taking multiple means.

His method of teaching does not resemble any I previously experienced when I attended school. One day, during the AP economics class (although it may not seem like 'conventional' class to those who received 'traditional' education), he told me that the slope of demand curve of a monopolistic market is always half of that of marginal revenue curve. I knew he would not stop at this stage. Not surprisingly, he asked why it is so, and instructed me to recall all the related concepts to fully explain the term. Although at the very first period of my life as a home-schooled student I thought the courses were too complicated and redundant, soon I knew this is one of the most effective ways to grasp knowledge. By enduring and going through this process, I was able to solidify what I learned, never forgetting afterwards even a minor detail for his successful style of tutoring.

Furthermore, he eagerly tried his best to discover my strongest points and optimize them. Knowing that I was not a brilliant science student, he recommended me to keep the main focus on the subjects of my main interest such as calculus, statistics, social sciences, and foreign languages. My improving academic performances proved that he had unquestionable skills in teaching. His initial opponents who had severely reprimanded him for his decision to home-school his two sons praised his rewarding 'venture.'

One summer night, I asked him if he does not regret the decision he made resisting harsh criticism from his friends and even members of family. With a slight smile dangling on his face, he replied: "Sometimes, of course I do, but I would stick to my original plan until you are qualified enough to receive better education in the university." Yes, he has always maintained his position, and promise he made to me and to himself. He scarcely scolded me of some occasional failure, but more often, he reproached himself and bore most of the resulting responsibilities. Maybe this kind of attitude and mindset were also a part of his means to lead me onto the right track to my dream. I was deeply galvanized to hear him say so. It seemed that he was the last individual who would forsake his own self-designed regulation and philosophy.

Being my father and teacher, he influenced me in various aspects. Not only did he contribute to my scholastic fields, but also guide me to always consider three virtues: modesty, morality, and integrity. He was one of my top role models I wanted to emulate. Though his minds may appear to be the most unorthodox and idiosyncratic, as he believes in me, I also trust him, respecting his principles and rarely frustrating him. Every class I had with him was full of vigor and vitality. He taught me to love knowledge and apply it, to stand against any odd and plight without surrender, and to value the merit of persistence, through all of which I was able to get near to my goals. For my father and teacher and eventually for myself, I will keep proceeding to my dream. I will smile, and so will he.
juzy - / 1  
clear expressions, simple language, a very interesting and engaging piece. honestly couldn't find anything wrong with any paragraph. Well done!!

Home / Undergraduate / 'One father, one teacher' - a person who has influenced you in a significant way