"That one random chat" - Purdue undergrad: essay about an autobiography

d2h4 3 / 13  
"Envision yourself near the end of a fulfilling, lifelong career and you just published your autobiography. Share the tittle and introduction."
This is my very first essay and I think I'm missing a lot of things here. Critics expected, thank you :)

That one random chat

Growing up in a small city in Indonesia, the economic gap between the wealthy people and the middle low are quite significant. With one look, we can determine which group a person belongs to. It's that obvious.

My father and grand fathers are successful people, both economically and socially. Their business runs very smoothly for years and they contribute a lot to the society. I really want to be like them, especially my father who likes to join various society activities and has a very good ability to lead a company.

I used to be able to imagine myself running a big, successful company and being a public figure people look up to. But, as the years go by I realize that I have different skills from my father. I knew that it will be very hard for me to achieve what my father has done, moreover it would be almost impossible to out beat him.

I don't think it would be exaggerating to say that my mind, during my high school years, we're tortured. I didn't have the slightest idea of what I'm going to do in the future.

I thought about what I'm going to do after I graduate high school, every single day, and still reached a dead end, every single time. My grades were slipping and my motivation began to vapor. At one point, I was so stressed out, I had a nervous breakdown for one whole week.

"Now I'm just going to be a nobody," my mind keeps telling me. Just when I thought all hopes were gone, a friend of mine randomly chat me and told me something. That random, spontaneous chat actually was the key to re-open my door of dreams and motivation once again.

This is a story of how I fell from my land of dreams and was lifted back again by just one random chat.
rngnoman - / 1  
My interest in science dates back to my years in high school, where I excelled in physics, chemistry, and math. When I was a senior, I took a first-year calculus course at a local college (such an advanced-level class was not available in high school) and earned an A. It seemed only logical that I pursue a career in electrical engineering.

When I began my undergraduate career, I had the opportunity to be exposed to the full range of engineering courses, all of which tended to reinforce and solidify my intense interest in engineering. I've also had the opportunity to study a number of subjects in the humanities and they have been both enjoyable and enlightening, providing me with a new and different perspective on the world in which we live.
OP d2h4 3 / 13  
Okay, thank you so much. I'll try to fix it :)

Home / Undergraduate / "That one random chat" - Purdue undergrad: essay about an autobiography