"There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure"

mcast187 1 / -  
Hi, if anyone could help me shorten this essay down to 500 words (currently at 549) and fix any grammatical errors I may have over looked that would be swell, thank you!

the assignment >
In 500 words or less, discuss your reasons for pursuing undergraduate study in the visual arts. Feel free to include any information about yourself, your goals and interests that may not be immediately apparent from the review of your transcripts or portfolio.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------

Weekdays around 6 o'clock or so, my father would call for me and say that it was time for us time to go pick my mother up from work. Right away, I would dart to a pile of assorted stuffed animals in my room and haul out my Book of Nothings. My book was something I never left behind before leaving the house; a thick, 9x12 book of off tone white pages joined together by a wire coiling the end of it that held no storyline, no premade commercialized doodles for coloring purposes only, no familiar characters like Winnie the Pooh and Friends or The Berenstein Bears. Those things were something to other people, and I wanted to make my own "something" in the Book of Nothings.

Arriving in Atlantic City at least 30 minutes prior to my mother getting off work gave me some time to fill my little blank book with whatever I thought was particularly pretty. Whether it was tangible or not, in my 17 years of age I've probably collected dozens of little blank books full of ideas, patterns, people, and story lines that pour hints of the relief it gave me when filling those blank pages. My sporadic doodling was not just restricted to just my Book of Nothings. Evidence of mathematical equations morphed into craftily drawn disfigurations of teachers did not make the cut in the course of study, but did give me a moment to breathe and continue my work in said class.

Art isn't just something I do because I enjoy it; it is something that I need. Asserting all these condensed feelings I have into the flow of drawings, paintings and sculpture is better represented in the format where you can pull multiple interpretations of it without really following a formula. For me, art is not a generic-multiple-choice question; your answer is never really wrong, and therefore, it gives me room to adjust to techniques I struggle with without being held accountable. I was recommended into a higher level Gifted & Talented Art class by sophomore year, which put me on track for my first year of AP Studio Art in 2011-2012 that pushed me to produce in large quantities and revise my technique; I later scored a 4 on my AP exam, and I continue to do AP studio art's 2D design portfolio in order to sustain a stable environment where I constantly produce art.

I strive to continue to pursue what helps me get through days when my body feels like an anchor permanently engulfed in bed sheets. I do not fear the upcoming years in my future endeavors in the art field for the reason that the visual arts will always be a part of me. Although I am grown and have excelled in producing art in different ways, to this day I continue to carry a book of nothings filled with small something's. Paulo Coelho states in his best-selling book The Alchemist, "There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure." I, like many others, have my flaws, misfortunes and personal demons, but the world doesn't slow down for those who feel they can never catch up.
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  
Weekdays around 6 o'clock or so, my father would call for me and say that it was time for us time to go pick my mother up from work.

On weekdays, at about 6 o'clock, my father and I would go to pick up my mother from work.

My book was something I never left behind before leaving the house...
I never left the house without my book

Arriving in Atlantic City at least 30 minutes prior to my mother getting off work gave me some time to fill my little blank book with whatever I thought was particularly pretty.

As we typically arrived 30 minutes early, I used the time to fill my book with anything that I thought was pretty.

Asserting all these condensed feelings I have into the flow of drawings, paintings and sculpture is better represented in the format where you can pull multiple interpretations of it without really following a formula.

I'd revise this sentence, it sounds a bit awkward and hard to read.

For me, art is not a generic-multiple-choice question; your answer is never really wrong, and therefore, it gives me room to adjust to techniques I struggle with without being held accountable.

The concept of art is that there is no wrong or right answer, no multiple choice questions, which allows room to adapt and adjust to the techniques.

Home / Undergraduate / "There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure"