"to open up many doors of opportunity for me" - Columbia Why essay

chrispikacho 1 / -  
As a top notch school located in the heart of New York City, Columbia University is a school I would love to attend. As a citizen and student of Guam, I have always lacked the opportunity to experience and learn much of the things my peers in the mainland have been privileged to receive, but I believe that attending Columbia will open up many doors of opportunity for me.

An Ivy League school, Columbia will certainly fulfill my academic shortages. The Core Curriculum will indulge me with information about essentially all fields of study. This liberal arts style of education can be develop me into a more well-rounded scholar. The vast opportunities that will open up after graduation from this institution are countless.

Another appealing factor is Columbia's diversity. As one of the most diverse schools in the nation, Columbia will provide me with an atmosphere like none other. With so many brilliant minds from such diverse backgrounds all concentrated in one place, I am guaranteed to learn new facts and go down many different roads in order to accomplish my education at Columbia.

Along with all these perks, Columbia sits in the middle of the "Big Apple." New York City teems with innumerable opportunities for internships and a chance to experience a big city, a nonexistent experience on Guam. Columbia certainly is a school that will help me to experience what I was unable to in Guam and mold me into a person with many opportunities.
iceui2 - / 70  
You need to be more specific. If you replace "Columbia University" with "New York University", everything will still work (as long as you don't say Ivy League).

My point is... you have to mention specific programs at Columbia that appeal to you. For example, if you're interested in music or drama, you have to mention the Julliard Exchange. Columbia is the only school in the world with this kind of program, so this certainly adds to the degree of specificness that this type of essay needs. Good luck.
holmescallas 3 / 12  
I agree...please tell us how this fit specifically to YOU? and what does means to you.
froyo - / 1  
i went to an information essay & they said the two things not to write about is how it's an ivy league school in nyc bc that is ALL they ever hear. im applying too and im having the same problem of avoiding those nono's

Home / Undergraduate / "to open up many doors of opportunity for me" - Columbia Why essay