"Without opponents, I might fall asleep" - ut essay TOPIC A

ZoeL14 3 / 4  
Without opponents, I might fall asleep

We're living in a world of contradictions, eventually we will meet some significant people who could have impacts on our lives. Other than my parents, there is one group of people can also create a great impact on me - my critics and my opponents. Some people would give up their original purpose while facing antagonists, some would slacken their pace because of objections, and a portion of them could even sink into despair. But there are also individuals can withstand the pressures, and I'm one of them. The more enemies I meet, the more perseverance I develop.

When I was little, I was really clumsy and my taste in clothing was rather vulgar, but I'm still a good student. I was considered the most mediocre child among all my cousins. I was not favored by one of my aunties, to be honest she was quite pretty but kind of snobbery. She prefers kids that are sociable and good-looking; obviously I'm not lovable to her. Another reason she hates me is because her daughter attended the same school I went to, and I'm always a top student in my class, her daughter had a hard time with even passing the classes. She would get aggressive every time when she finds out that I'm doing better than her daughter at school. Long story short, my Auntie doesn't like me, and my only weakness she would use to attack me was my outward appearance. Although I knew I'm not good-looking at that time, I would still hope that she never point that out, until one day she finally did. She criticized me for having an argument with her daughter. She blamed all the faults on me even though it wasn't my fault at all. She told me that I was the most brainless kid she had ever seen, and she also satirized my physical appearance, that I didn't know how to dress-up, a girl like me cannot succeed. Her words harmed me profoundly. I've decided to prove to her that I can be perfect in all fields.

Ever since that, I started paying more attention to my appearance and learned to act with graceful manners. I started letting my hair grow and started wearing dresses. Although I felt like a fish out of water at the beginning of the refinement, but I would bestir myself by reminding myself of what auntie told me. Because I knew if I improve myself, the better I get, the harder it will be for other people to destroy me. Hard works paid off, although I'm still not gorgeous, but I'm polite, elegant and open-minded. It becomes clear to me that, though the finished product may be beautiful and elegant, the process is not. Once I told Auntie that I'm extremely grateful to her, if it wasn't her, I'm probably still that ignorant and clumsy girl. Even though her statements were mixed with prejudices, I can still use them as motivations. Auntie blew away my respects to her, but she created a miracle in my life. Without these haters, I would probably turn in to a typical girl who will cry and get sad if I hear something offensive. Now I'm more confident in myself than I used to be.

She didn't only change the way I look, but also my philosophy towards life and the society. I understood that I can't surround myself with praises and people who love me. Sometimes it's disappointed whenever I see people's dreams and passions have snuffed by haters. But think this way: will you care if an ant criticizes you? I had learned not to take those opponents' comments in a negative way. My critics made me realize that as a person is living in this world, then he has to prepare for criticizing. It's worse if no one attacks you, which means you are not important to them. These enemies of mine are influencing since they helped me to reveal my weakness, and I have learned how to use them and my mind to get anything I want. Something in this world can be inevitable, while facing obstacles, it's better to light a candle than complaining about the darkness.

In my opinion, a person is like a piece of metal, it cannot reveal its natural color unless someone breaks it. Without enemies, I will probably never find out how capable I can be. Yet, the haters will drag you out from your lotus land, which forces us to get better, in order to be more competitive. I have to express my gratefulness to all my haters, you taught me how to be strong, and you taught me how to face inexorability with a smile. "Thank you, haters!"
SaiAnui 1 / 2  
Sometimes it's disappointing whenever I see that people's dreams and passions have been snuffed out by haters.

Wow. Awesome essay. It really shows how much your aunt allowed you to change yourself for the better. :)
OP ZoeL14 3 / 4  
Thank you for replying. How can I fix my structure and grammar?
We live in a world of contradictions, and eventually we will meet some significant people who could have impacts on our lives.

I was not favored by one of my aunties; to be honest, she was quite pretty but a bit conceited. She prefers kids that are sociable and good-looking; obviously I was not lovable to her. Another reason she hates me is because her daughter attended the same school I went to, and I'm always a top student in my class, whereas her daughter had a hard time with even passing the classes.

Not too many mistakes...

Without enemies, I would probably never find out how capable I can be.

Nice job!!
Kikozang - / 14  
I think you have a great idea, when I saw the topic the only thing I could think of was parents and teachers and such, but opponents, wow

Home / Undergraduate / "Without opponents, I might fall asleep" - ut essay TOPIC A