An opportunity to bring any person (Johnny Depp) - NYU Common App

Torlenart 1 / -  
Hey guys,
Im filling out my application for NYU and one of the essays say: If you had the opportunity to bring any person -- past or present, fictional or nonfictional -- to a place that is special to you (your hometown or country, a favorite location, etc), who would you bring and why? Tell us what you would share with that person.

I wrote about Johnny Depp. Do you think that's not a good enough person to choose???
aharari 2 / 5  
The answer has less to do with the person being "good enough," but more of why you chose them, why you would take them to your special place, and what you would share. I could choose Hitler and explain that I would try and show him the good in humanity, and the need not to persecute people, and it would be fine.

Admissions are looking at more of your thought process and less about whom you choose. So if you decide to keep Mr. Depp, make sure you chose him for a good reason.
patricia5827 4 / 12  
There's nothing wrong with picking him. He is a very good actor who is very talented at multiple roles. I agree with aharari : it doesn't have to do with the person you chose, but why you chose them, that's what they're looking for.
winstonli 6 / 15  
i think that choosing johnny depp will probably work out better for you cuz it relates more to you as to someone else writing a generic essay about bring back george washington cuz he's awesome. Colleges really look for your personality and facts that they cant acquire form your numbers in your essays. Good Luck on admissions!
Do you think that's not a good enough person to choose???

No, he is great! But it depends on your reason. Make it so that this essay reflects your seriousness about your chosen field of study. You know, like... if you want to by a physician, maybe you want to choose Deepak Chopra. If you want to be an entrepreneur, maybe you choose Johnny Depp because you know that acting is an important part of doing business.

Muster up a good theme!! Muster up an insightful message.

Home / Undergraduate / An opportunity to bring any person (Johnny Depp) - NYU Common App