"the opportunity to improve our health" - Issue of importance UT Transfer

ramezbarsoom 1 / -  
Hey guys, this is my very post here. I hope I can get some help or tips on the following essay. I plan on submitting this in the next couple of days so any help is appreciated!

Choose an issue of importance to you-the issue could be personal, school related, local, political, or international in scope-and write an essay in which you explain the significance of that issue to yourself, your family, your community, or your generation.

The ringing phone startles me awake. I find myself sitting at my desk, sleeping on top of my Fluid Dynamics book. Bothered by whoever is calling at this ungodly hour, I pick up the phone. "Hello" I answer in a low hoarse voice, with the thought of the upcoming midterm looming over me. "Ramez, your dad has suffered from a heart attack and is recovering in the ER" said my mom on the other line. The rest of the conversation was unclear but it was clouded with hurt, anger and confusion. Having a family member suffer from a heart attack while you are living overseas, helpless, is one of the most painful experiences one can endure. For the remainder of the night I could not help myself but question what happened. Could this have been prevented? What caused the heart attack? Was it his fault or did all of us contribute to what happened? However, none of these questions led to an answer.

Ever since being successful has been a crucial aspect in today's modern world, health negligence is an issue that seems to have taken the backburner. People are often finding it hard to come across a balance in their life to the point that health-related problems are often ignored until they reach a critical stage. More and more people each year are diagnosed with high blood pressure, cardiovascular diseases and other problems that are detrimental to one's health mainly due to a high-stress, low-exercise lifestyle accompanied with a high calorie diet. By the time we realize the mistakes we are making, it is often too late to reverse the damage that has been done to our health.

Usually people would not take a step in the right direction unless it affects them personally in one way or another. I never considered myself to be a 'health freak', due to having ectomorphic characteristics, as I do not gain weight easily and have never monitored my calorie intake. I was never in bad shape and did not have any health complications but ever since the incident with my dad, I have appreciated the human body even more and have become more health-conscious than before. We never know when we will fall ill or when our health will give up on us. If we do not start changing our life-style habits at an early stage in our lives, we will keep postponing it and pushing it off as we prioritize other things in life. What we do not realize is that our health should be our main priority; now that does not mean we should quit our jobs and spend 8 hours a day at the gym but we should dedicate some of our time to take care of our bodies on a daily basis.

This does not only apply to adults in the work force but to people of all ages. Students in high school and college are also under immense pressure from their parents, and other students alike, to overachieve. For most students, this competitive atmosphere as well as the uncertainty of what their future holds can lead to a stressful life where their health is not considered a priority. In today's society, it is considered the norm to partake in unhealthy lifestyle habits such as eating processed foods, smoking and not exercising. With the amount of medical research done in this field, we are fully aware of the harm we are causing to our health. We know well in advance that smoking causes lung cancer and that over-eating and lack of exercise will eventually lead to obesity and diabetes but we still choose to gamble with our lives.

We have access to doctors, nutritionists, diet plans, fitness centers and the Internet. We have the opportunity to improve our health and, to some extent, avoid an early grave but prefer our old lifestyle habits. This is the paradox of the 21st century; we live in a world where we are blessed with technology and a vast amount of knowledge that accompanies it, some of us will use this knowledge to our advantage while others choose to ignore it.
Here are a few things I found for you to fix/work on;

Ever since being successful has been a crucial aspect in today's modern world,...I think it has been a crucial aspect since people lived in caves!

...health negligence is an issue that seems to have been put on the back burner.

People are often finding it hard to come across aachieve balance in their lives to the point that health-related problems are often ignored until they reach a critical stage.

Usually people will not take a step in the right direction unless it affects them personally in one way or another.

...does not mean we should quit our jobs and spend 8 hours a day at the gym, but we should dedicate some of our time to taking care of our bodies on a daily basis.

Home / Undergraduate / "the opportunity to improve our health" - Issue of importance UT Transfer