I had the opportunity to get involved in a program at the New York University

nayelojello 5 / 37 2  
As a junior in highschool, I had the opportunity to get involved in a program at the New York University school of medicine. The program consisted of SAT prep throughout the spring semester and then in the summer we shadowed doctors. In the fall semester, we are now receiving help with our college application process.When I applied to "The High School Fellows Program" (HSFP) , I did not expect to be accepted, I didn't put much thought into it. However, in February 2012, I received a letter from the program , I had gotten so excited to receive a response, that my cheeks hurt from all the smiling and joy. As I was opening the letter, my hands became tense and more tense. After reading through the black print, my grin started to fade as I read " Sorry". From that point on, I decided to stop reading the letter since obviously I did not get accepted.Tears welled up in my eyes and began rolling down my cheeks like rivulets. However, the following day I went to check the mailbox, and received a letter from the " High School Fellows" program. I did not want to open nor read the letter because of the previous ordeal, but curiosity took it's toll. I ripped open the crisp white envelope. and inside the envelope there was an apology letter. The letter had stated that the letter of rejection was not for me but for another applicant. At that moment I was on cloud nine. A smile was plastered on my face. My acceptance to the program made me feel very accomplished. It was such an amazing feeling that I had the chance to represent my school at a university . This was the most exciting time of my educational career because it was a time where I had the opportunity to interact with others who are aiming at the same goals as I am, going to medical school and having an interest in science.

One of the most defining moments that I experienced in the High School Fellows Program, was when I had to present my research project in front of 60 people. This aspect of the program was the most daunting. I was terrified to speak publicly, but I knew that this is something that cannot be avoided; it is something crucial in college. When the time came to present my project, my legs felt like rubber bands, the palms of my hands became clammy and my lips felt as if they were glued shut. But I could not run away from the fear. When it was my turn to speak, my lips trembled as if I were standing outside in December. In my head I had told myself " Nayeli, pretend you are talking to Billy, your furry companion that cannot speak but can listen". Yes, it is weird to talk to your dog but it is what brought some comfort. With the image in my head the crazy glue slowly peeled off my lips and suddenly the worried lines on face slowly smoothed out; My mouth turned into an eager crescent shape. I was surprised at how loud my voice echoed in the room. For a person who is shy it was a definite accomplishment. At that moment I achieved a goal.I was brave enough to confront my fear. It might not have been a huge goal, but it was something that I wanted to fulfill and prove to myself that if I can overcome something so minimal, I can most definitely overcome the most difficult situations. I realized that there are some things that you cannot escape and this was one of them. The fear of presenting in front of a crowd was daunting, but when I realized that I had potential, it was the best feeling.

Throughout the program I learned group communication skills and the importance of working diligently. I had such recognition in school and everyone was proud. It made me look forward to interacting with other students and input my ideas. The experience carried along over to my classroom where I have had to present projects. I did not get as nervous and I actually felt comfortable standing in front of my class. At the end I am glad that I had the opportunity of being part of this amazing experience.
balletdncr3895 2 / 3 2  
As a junior in high school, I had the opportunity to get involved in a program at the New York University S chool of M edicine. The program consisted of SAT prep throughout the spring semester and then in the summer we shadowed doctors. In the fall semester, we are now receiving help with our college application process. When I applied to "The High School Fellows Program" (HSFP), I did not expect to be accepted, I did not put much thought into it. However, in February 2012, I received a letter from the program, I had gottenwas so excited to receive a response, that my cheeks hurt from all the smiling and joy. As I was opening the letter, my hands became tense and more tense. After reading through the black print, my grin started to fade as I read " Sorry". From that point on, I decided to stop reading the letter since, obviously, I did not get accepted. Tears welled up in my eyes and began rolling down my cheeks like rivulets. However, the following day I went to check the mailbox, and I had received a letter from the "High School Fellows" program. I did not want to open nor read the letter because of the previous ordeal, but curiosity took it's toll. I ripped open the crisp white envelope., and inside the envelope there was an apology letter. The letter had stated that the letter of rejection was not for me, but for another applicant. At that moment, I was on cloud nine. A smile was plastered on my face. My acceptance to the program made me feel very accomplished. It was such an amazing feeling that I had the chance to represent my school at a university. This was the most exciting time of my educational career because it was a time where I had the opportunity to interact with others who are aiming at the same goals as I am: going to medical school and having an interest in science.

One of the most defining moments that I experienced in the High School Fellows Program, was when I had to present my research project in front of 60sixty people. This aspect of the program was the most daunting. I was terrified to speak publicly, but I knew that this is something that cannot be avoided; it is something crucial in college. When the time came to present my project, my legs felt like rubber bands, the palms of my hands became clammy, and my lips felt as if they were glued shut. But I could not run away from the fear. When it was my turn to speak, my lips trembled as if I were standing outside in December. In my head I had told myself " Nayeli, pretend you are talking to Billy, your furry companion that cannot speak but can listen". Yes, it is weird to talk to your dog but it is what brought some comfort. With the image in my head the crazy glue slowly peeled off my lips and suddenly the worried lines on face slowly smoothed out; My mouth turned into an eager crescent shape. I was surprised at how loud my voice echoed in the room. For a person who is shy, it was a definite accomplishment. At that moment, I achieved a goal; I was brave enough to confront my fear. It might not have been a huge goal, but it was something that I wanted to fulfill and prove to myself that if I can overcome something so minimal, I can most definitely overcome the most difficult situations. I realized that there are some things that you cannot escape and this was one of them. The fear of presenting in front of a crowd was daunting, but when I realized that I had potential, it was the best feeling.

Throughout the program I learned group communication skills and the importance of working diligently. I had such recognition in school, and everyone was proud. It madeinfluenced me to look forward to interacting with other students and input my ideas. The experience carried along over to my classroom where I have had to present projects. I did not get as nervous, and I actually felt comfortable standing in front of my class. AtIn the end, I am glad that I had the opportunity of being part of this amazing experience.

hope this helps a little! you have a great story to tell!!
OP nayelojello 5 / 37 2  
ahhhh thank you soooo much
Bikash2013 3 / 11  
high school..not highschool.
3rd line- after process and full stop give a space.
line 11- i think its not it's.
line 11- And not and.
And the essay as a whole is very good.

Home / Undergraduate / I had the opportunity to get involved in a program at the New York University