Opportunity to study science & arts, diverse interests; Carnegie Mellon / Why?/ Goals

ieleen 1 / -  
Question

Please submit a one-page, single-spaced essay that explains why you have chosen Carnegie Mellon and your particular major(s), department(s) or program(s). This essay should include the reasons why you've chosen the major(s), any goals or relevant work plans and any other information you would like us to know. If you are applying to more than one college or program, please mention each college or program you are applying to. Because our admission committees review applicants by college and programs, your essay can impact our final decision. Please do not exceed one page for this essay.

Response

Art is commonly associated with expression, color, spontaneity, imagination, creativity, ambiguity, risk-taking, obscurity, philosophy, passion, emotion, and beauty. Science is generally equated with facts, measurements, data, research, equations, laws, proof, nature, properties, and detail. Psychology claims that artists are right-brain thinkers and that scientists are left-brain thinkers. Science can be thought to be light, exposing truth and reality, while art can be said to be darkness, something that is elusive and open to interpretation.

The reason why I chose Carnegie Mellon is that it gives students the opportunity to pursue a path of study that combines both the arts and sciences, bringing left-brain and right- brain thinking together and harmonizing light and dark. Having a diverse range of interests, from painting to anatomical sciences, I, therefore, believe that Carnegie Mellon is a school that will encourage me to follow up on the variety of subjects that fascinate me. I trust that CMU, which offers such a colorful spectrum of majors for undergraduate students, consists of a great community; an eclectic group of open-minded and multidisciplinary individuals that will help me nurture my varied curiosities.

When thinking about which program I should apply to, I decided on the Mellon College of Science. This resolution was inspired by my past interest in becoming a cameraman for NatGeo Wild, a television network committed to capturing and screening the planet's wildest and most exciting creatures.

The wildlife cameraman's daring will to travel to obscure and dangerous animal habitats, insatiable curiosity toward the natural world around them, and quiet but strong dedication behind the action occurring in front of the camera served as the compelling reasons for me to pursue a life of adventure like theirs.

From repeatedly watching their footage, however, I grew even more interested in the molecular reasons for animal behavior, such as the enduring consistency of animal migration (exquisitely captured in March of the Penguins) and the social hierarchies of certain animal species (like the pecking order of chickens). I became interested in the differences in bone structure of various creatures and grew fond of drawing skeletons.

While simultaneously taking AP Biology and AP Psychology during my junior year, my existing fascination in animal (and human) behavior and anatomy grew. These classes heightened my interest in medicine, neuroscience, and scientific research, which is ultimately why I wish to pursue biological sciences at Carnegie Mellon.

In addition to my enthusiasm for biology, I have many artistic interests that I wish to pursue at CMU. The creative writing class provided by the Dietrich College of Humanities and Social Sciences, therefore, appeals to me because I see writing as something very similar to fine art, which is something I am passionate about and considering minoring in. Creative writing requires much thought, contemplation, and use of the imagination (just like in fine art), and I first discovered these aspects when I took a summer writing class before the start of 8th grade. My teacher, Adam, taught me to be unafraid of my imagination and to express my thoughts excitingly, with passion and depth of meaning. In that class, I wrote my first story about my own utopian world, and the rewarding feeling of finishing that story was something I would never forget. There is a value in creating a work of art that I can call my own, and I believe that Carnegie Mellon's English department will see the value in that too.

Carnegie Mellon is a school that cares about a student's many interests, and if I were to become a student at CMU, I will not think twice about taking advantage of the school's plethora of available opportunities.

Note

Please help. I need all the feedback I can get!
a608863a 5 / 21 1  
"The reason why I chose Carnegie Mellon is that it gives students the opportunity to pursue a path of study that combines both the arts and sciences, bringing left-brain and right- brain thinking together and harmonizing light and dark. "

I think this reason is cliche and you probably can make a connection between you and CMU( eg. a particular accomplishment CMU that interests you) of to show how this school is the best fit for you.

Home / Undergraduate / Opportunity to study science & arts, diverse interests; Carnegie Mellon / Why?/ Goals