"Oregonians" + "Practicality" - University of Rochester Supplements

prospopt2012 2 / 2  
Hello! This is my first time using this site, so I'd really appreciate all of the help I can get!
Each of the following topics recommend that I answer the prompt in about 125 words, with a 1000 character limit.

1. Why Rochester? - Rochester students live on campus together but commit to self-direction and self-determination through our curriculum. Independent, confident thinkers who ''play well with others'' thrive here. Show us how this uncommon intersection of traits describes you, and tell us why you would excel at Rochester.

I knew that we Oregon-folk call ourselves "Oregonians," but I learned that people from Florida call themselves "Floridians", and that more specifically, people from Nashville had no idea what to call themselves. Learning that Georgians call "garbage" what Californians call "trash", I shared that Oregonians divide waste by "compost", "recycling", and "trash".

These were the kinds of topics my group of competitive, business-savvy "frenemies" attending a workshop at the National Leadership Conference this last summer discussed in lieu of creating a team name. So epic was our conversation that when the instructor called for us to finalize a name, we created an acronym to encompass the quirky, dynamic nature of our group. We were Easily Distracted, Unique, and Awesome. We were Team EDUA.

123 words, 796 characters... It's kind of weird, but what do you think?

2. Meliora: 'Ever better' - The University's motto, Meliora, directs our focus toward continual improvement through research, understanding, and collaborative efforts. Offer an example from your personal experience of an obstacle you faced or a problem you identified. Describe the actions you took and the result.

I have a passion, a compulsive desire to understand. I seek real-world application and yearn for practicality. At times, this fervor has led me to the brink of frustration; in elementary school, it created some of my most absurd notions about mathematics, to the point that I believed it embodied everything evil in the world. I wanted to know math, to apply the formulas and ideas I memorized in class to the "real world" and understand the concepts behind them, but no one could provide a more sufficient answer to my questions than the dreaded phrase: "You'll use it eventually, so don't worry." Even so, I persisted, yearning for the day that someone would be able to answer my questions.

It wasn't until high school that I found teachers willing to discuss the practical applications of mathematics, but slowly, classes like AP Statistics and AP Calculus became the highlight of my day, and concepts like Simpson's paradox became something to ponder rather than scorn. Looking back, I'm thankful that I persevered in search of the Meliora, because in doing so, I found the opportunity to thrive.

186 words, 1106 characters... I would really appreciate some help with shortening it down...

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
jbauer 1 / 5  
I think your answer to #2 was spot on, however I don't think you answered the actual question for #1. I may be wrong but I think you need to answer more specifically how it describes you and why you will excel at Rochester.

I struggled terrible with mine as well...The answers I received on here helped. I wish you the same luck!

Take care and good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / "Oregonians" + "Practicality" - University of Rochester Supplements