Otto-Von- Bismarck & Adolf Hitler; College App - Political leaders

Uzair Farooq 1 / -  
Question: Select two leaders - one you admire greatly and one you do not. Briefly outline why you see them as leaders, and why you admire one and not the other. (250 word limit)

ESSAY:
Otto-Von-Bismarck and Adolf Hitler.

Bismarck, a noted statesman and political wizard, successfully unified Germany (1871). Adolf Hitler, a shrewd and cunning leader, restored Germany to her rightful place alongside other European Powers.

I admire Bismarck vis-Ă -vis Hitler, for his correct use of power. Bismarck's reign as Minister-President is defined by his brilliant implementation of realpolitik. Though aggressive, his 'blood and iron policy' (1862) was necessary to achieve unification. Otherwise, French and Austrian intervention would have undermined his plans for a "Kleindeutschland". In fact, after unification, Bismarck changed his stance in European politics and formed a system of Alliances to isolate France, a potential threat, and to protect the newly formed state. Accordingly, by 1880's, he came to be regarded as the 'Napoleon of Alliances' and Berlin 'the heart of European diplomacy'.

On the otherhand, Hitler's desire for power knew no bounds - he would not settle for Germany, he wanted Europe. In 1933, Hitler gained absolute power through the Enabling Act of that year. There after began the greatest trick of the 20th century. He successfully propagated jingoistic sentiments using the Treaty of Versailles to his advantage. He then materialised the jewish religion to unite the Aryan race under the 'common enemy', the Jew, and ordered for the jews' mass genocide. In 1939, Hitler showed his true colors when he unjustly invaded Poland, triggering World War 2. In 1945, in the face of defeat, he killed himself.
lettuceface 1 / 2  
It seems like you just wrote about what they did rather than why you view them as leaders and why you admire/dislike them. In other words less facts more opinion. I think that's point of undergrad essays anyway, getting to know the student.

Your opinion of which is cool and which is lame wasn't clear enough.

"I admire Bismarck vis-Ă -vis Hitler," ..To me this makes it seem as if you're trying to choose the lesser of two evils, like if it was another guy other than Hitler you wouldn't admire Bismarck. I don't use "vis a vis" personally, but I'm sorta familiar with its usage and I think you're kind of reaching with the wording of that statement.

Home / Undergraduate / Otto-Von- Bismarck & Adolf Hitler; College App - Political leaders