Outcast -Admission essay to UT, issue of importance

welc2774 3 / 5  
Topic: Choose an issue of importance to you - the issue could be personal, school related, local, political, or international in scope - and write an essay in which you explain the significance of that issue to yourself, your family, your community, or your generation..

Unsure how to close.
This is a difficult school to get into so please help me out guys!!!

Outcast

I part ways with my best friend of 3 years as her mom would love to live in Pennsylvania. Tragically this was the year that we were supposed to start high school together and I without my sidekick was painful. I wouldn't say we were the most popular kids in middle school but we manage to make it out without any harm since we mostly stuck with each other. Now she is gone and I have to face such a big transition alone. My first day of school at Round Rock High School was a short day. It involved me trying to find my classes in a campus with 9 buildings spread out like a college campus. 14 years old at the time I feel like a lost child in the mall. Too nervous to talk to anyone and ask for directions. I look at my map and could not find out how to get to the 300 building. The tardy bell rings and I am still frantically searching for this mystical 300 building. I searched for so long I was positive it wasn't real. So I run to the back of the school and begin to cry as I call my mom. "I can't find the 300 building and I'm already 20 minutes late to class!" I tell my mom. She must have felt my pain because after a short conversation she was on her way to pick me up from school at 1:00. Glad that I got my first day over I knew I had to go back the next day, and well for four more year that I was not looking forward to. That next day went a little smoother because I found all my classes. But when the lunch bell rang my heart sank. I was in a school of 3,500 kids yet I knew none of them. With my fear of eating alone I sat next to the teacher that was on lunch duty and I guess when I made that choice I had also involuntarily cause my social suicide. When the bell rang again to go to class these two girls came up to me and ask me if I was a nark. I looked at her strange and her friend assured her I wasn't but that I was in fact just a newbie nerd. That wasn't quite the welcome I had desired. And that was just the beginning. Along with the increase in antagonizing I had a decrease in self-esteem. I was the quiet girl in class which made people think I was stupid and weird. Being in class wasn't so bad as lunch and the 20 minute wait for my bus. Those were the time when the other kids got bored and decided that my humiliation was going to be their entertainment. They said I was too stupid to go to school and that I should just drop out. And I really considered it a few times but my mother refused to let me just give up. I just tried to ignore it, but it didn't work, it still hurt. I missed quite a few days of school just so I didn't have to face the other kids. Sometimes I would leave school during lunch just so I didn't have to sit alone or hear the remarks from students as they walked by. The other kids would ask me, "Where are your friends?" and laugh as they walked away. I couldn't even count the amount of times that I was told, "nobody likes you, go home." The only place I felt completely safe was when I was home with my mom, she was my best friend during those times. Being in my room alone with my thoughts was not safe because I just would recall the hurtful things I heard earlier that day. High School was a time I'd like to forget but I manage to get through four years of it. Although during my high school years I felt so alone I am not alone in being a victim of bullying. 1 in 4 students have reported being bullied and as many as 160,000 students stay home every day in the fear of being bullied at school. Bullying is an issue on epic proportions and it needs to be stopped. I had trouble in school with bullying and since then it seems like bullying I on the rise. And I feel for each and every kid that has to hear lies told to them that they are not good enough. After listening to that it is hard to have good self-worth. I struggled with it for a while till I got help from a counselor. I think the most important was of prevention is stressing the importance of getting help and also having help available. I am passionate about making sure every young person I know knows that they can do whether they are a bully, a victim, or just on the sidelines. A couple of years ago I helped console a close younger friend and neighbor as the kids picked on her at the same school they once picked on me.
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Hello Amanda,

As I have stated in several other posts, applicants need to be as unique as possible. The topic of bullying has become a major one especially in the last two years. As such, many many many applicants will write about this topic. That in and of itself is not a major issue as it is indeed an issue that is facing this generation a great deal and one that you have experienced firsthand. However, because this topic will be written about so frequently this admissions cycle - applicants that chose this topic need to make sure that their essay "bleeds" with passion. This essay is pretty standard and recounts your experiences with bullying but it needs to be written more passionately so that the reader really gets a sense of how you were feeling during those times. Also, you have quite a few grammatical issues in this essay. If you need more help in making this essay passionate and perfect we can help.

Home / Undergraduate / Outcast -Admission essay to UT, issue of importance