Overcoming Depression and ED; CENTRAL TO IDENTITY

xoamanda831 1 / 1  
Some students have a background or story that is so central to their identity that they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.

The overcoming of affliction and not letting it control me has been a constant and perpetual motive throughout my life. The step-by-step process up the staircase to achievement and freedom is what makes my eyes so full of color today. The journey to conquer what restricted my abilities defines my ambitions and goals I have for not only the present, but the future.

Freshman year was a downward spiral. A shadow followed me and corrupted my head. Whatever I encountered it was there blinding me of the exquisite features life had to acclaim. That shadow was depression. This dark period of time ticked on throughout sophomore year. After experiencing a domineering person who spoke words of hate and cruelty, my lack of self confidence also caused an eating disorder to commence. Laying on the bathroom floor one night, I closed my eyes and realized that I was at rock bottom. My friendship's had ended, my grades were appalling, my stomach tightened with hunger and my life was not how I desired it to be. That moment altered everything. I did not want my life to continue in darkness. The world is full of magnificent life and I wanted to experience it. I began to strive to make the rest of my life the best it could be. In order to do that I had to be healthy. Although that is easier said than done, I used every piece of pain in me to motivate myself.

With a strong change of mind and hope in sight the real journey embarked. I began to see everything in a different light. I found peace in the simplest of things from a beautiful view of the mountains to looking up at the stars during a rock concert to the smile and innocence of a toddler in the grocery store. These little pieces of beauty in life is what I live for and strive to create. I am far too captivated by the magic in the world to experience anything less than transcendence.

Darkness is an essential step to true intellect. It's bizarre how fast a life can change. During most of high school I assumed I was never intelligent enough to reach the academic goals my parents set upon me. Now that I have the mindset to make my life the best it can be, my academics picked up. It is worth it to put in work towards achieving my own goals and feel the pride that I get in return. Overcoming depression has taught me to build my own path through life and has provided me with the confidence and motivation to achieve my goals. Although those steps were somber and helpless, I have soared to the exceptional heights of achievement and freedom.

I have matured and changed since freshman year. The person I am today is continually growing but at the moment I am a hard-working young woman who understands that achieving success in life is the best tribute. Motivation is the quality I am most proud to have. I strive for the best and have a positive outlook on life. I want to make something out of my life.
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Hello,

ABSOLUTELY PERFECT(content wise)! You are one of the few people who understands how to take negative situations, including bad grades, and turning them into a positive outlook for the future WITHOUT making tons of excuses or blaming everyone and everything else. You have shown growth and maturity here and this is what admissions officers look for. Very very well done. -Admissions Advice Online

Hope this helps
OP xoamanda831 1 / 1  
Thank you so much! I was so nervous to do this topic after all the things I read online! Again, thank you! Really need grammar and stuff checked! Please and thank you!

Home / Undergraduate / Overcoming Depression and ED; CENTRAL TO IDENTITY