My overwhelming passion for bead making

Okoye ijeoma 1 / 1 1  
Help edit my essay vassar supplement. elaborate on one of your extracurricular activities.

My overwhelming passion for bead making

It is hard to say how one acquires an eye for art or fashion. However, I can vividly remember how I discovered my passion for creating works of art in the form of jewelry. Last year, my high school was invited to an Arts Gallery Competition. In preparation for the competition, my school organized workshops on the craft of bead making. These workshops were conducted during the weekends. The first day our instructor came to class, she had a bag filled with colorful beads that captured my interest immediately. Fortunately, I was quick to learn and even quicker to put my own twist in the process. I could hardly believe I made such beautiful pieces of jewelry.

As time went on, my passion for bead making became overwhelming as I would spend a better part of my day and even night threading beads. I frequently paid visits to a local craft shop near my house in order to buy beads, bead stops, and wire cutters with the little savings I had. After the competition, I bought quality beads of different colors and sizes and transformed them into beautiful intricate pieces of jewelry. These trinkets were eye candy for me. Their beauty seemed to nourish my soul and still does. The skills and creativity that went into making them beguiled me. The society had made wearing of beaded jewelry quite a fashion statement, so I used the opportunity to make some money to settle some of my family's needs.

Although, I am passionate about the sciences, especially, Chemistry, I love bead making. The art of bead making to me is really a study of creativity and patience. I always feel a real sense of accomplishment when I make these ornaments. I really hope the flexibility and openness of Vassar's curriculum would enable me to combine my studies with my hobby of bead making. It would also be an honor to create artistic and gorgeous jewelry that will adorn the Arts Centre of Vassar College and be displayed during the African Union Culture Show.
realtalk 2 / 15 5  
@Okoye ijeoma

Your @Okoye ijeoma
I think you did quite a good job elaborating how you came to love bead making and how you perceive it.
I think the future reader of your essay would be even more attracted to your essay if you could provide more details about how bead making can contribute to performing better in the major your are applying for, or vice versa.
Okoye, when you write about an extra curricular activity, it is done so without the intention of using it as part of your college application. That means that this has to be something that you do just for the fun of it and not for the purpose of using it as something to enhance your college application. In this instance, the activity that you chose, bead making, falls under Jewelry and arts and crafts. That makes it a nice extra curricular activity to present so kudos for doing something that really stands out among the rest of the applicants.

The way that you described your interest in bead making as an art form is very good and impressive. You have managed to convince the reviewer that you are passionate about this extra curricular activity. What I believe you should remove, as it is not really required in the expanded explanation of your extra curricular activity is how you plan to use this hobby as part of your college education at Vassar. Just keep it simple. Jewelry making is a form of relaxation for you. It should not have anything to do with your application to Vassar. Remove the connection that you made.

Just make sure that the reviewer knows that this activity is something that you do for relaxation and as a hobby. Its potential use for you as a Vassar student is not necessary in the explanation. It is after all, not part of the academic requirements for your chosen major. There is no need to discuss it as such. The reviewer just wants to know how you spend your extra time when you are not studying. Not everything has to relate back to your chosen major and the pursuit of admission to the university.
OP Okoye ijeoma 1 / 1 1  
Tanks a lot@holt. I ll remove the connection

Home / Undergraduate / My overwhelming passion for bead making