'my own little village' - Texas Essay A-Someone who has impacted your life

CollegeGuy2013 1 / -  
Hi, I am applying to Texas and I was wondering if anyone could give some suggestions for my first essay

______________________________________________________________________ __________

Hello I'd like to begin by introducing myself, my name is CollegeGuy2013 I am 17 years old and I was born and raised in XXXX, Texas. A few activities I like to participate in during my free time include playing golf and soccer and watching my beloved New England Patriots. Now onto the person who has the most impact in my life. This is a difficult topic for me. The saying its takes a village to raise a child definitely applies to my upbringing. This village includes my mom, dad and sister. I cannot pick between these three people because without any of them I would not be the person I am today. My parents are both Mexican immigrants who moved to XXXX with nothing and raised a successful daughter who paved the way for me to become even more successful.

I'll start with my father. My dad is an incredible man who with only middle school education has built a successful construction company. Currently due to the financial downturn the situation has been difficult however, he is working against all odds to provide for our family. His goal has always been to teach me how to be self-sufficient a "man's man" as he would say. Thanks to him I am pretty handy around the house. This summer I built a walk in closet at my sister's house, I took down a couple walls, made the framing, installed the dry wall, applied the compound and painted. When he saw what I had made I could see the pride in his eyes and even though it was just a closet to everybody else to him it was a representation of the influence he's had on me. My mother, well she's one tough woman. I love and admire her as much as she scares me. She has thought me how to be responsible with money, how to clean, encourages me to do well in school and most importantly to be on time to important events. She promises that these four things are essential to becoming a successful adult and I am out to proof her right. The two of them are such an inspiration to me they help me in any way they can and are always pushing me to do my best and are my biggest cheerleaders even at my worse.

Finally my sister, we have a different relationship from most siblings, she is 11 years older than me and is somewhere between a mom and a really cool aunt. She is nothing less than a role model to me. She finished high school, 4 year college and is currently working on her master's degree and is guiding me though the college application process. Not only has she helped me with school but has also helped me broaden my horizons by showing many places like Boston, New York, Washington DC, San Diego and even Peru. She makes sure that these trips are fun but that I learn the history and culture that each have to offer. I'm amazed how far she got on her own, she unfortunately didn't not have the support I have from my parents that I have or someone guiding her like she is doing to me.

I am very grateful to have my own little village, without the best part of each of them I would not be me. To know that I have them looking out for my best interest encourages me to put extra effort into everything that I do. There is nothing more I want than to make them proud. I am incredibly blessed to have them in my life.
Abby5 8 / 19 4  
"it takes a village to raise a child"
"a man's man"
Better not to use cliches.
..."for me to be even more successful"...seems a bit rude
take out..."I'll start with my father"...redundant
add comma...he situation has been difficult, however,
take out pretty before the word handy, implies that you are not that handy
add semicolon...sister's house:
change made the frame to...framed, painted the closet
change...When he, to When my father---make this whole sentence more concise
Make the paragraph about your mom a new paragraph
...prove...
reword and relocate last sentence in first paragraph
Biggest Cheerleader is another cliche. This weeks your paper and makes it less personal.
Reword..."My sister and I have...
Spell 11.
Beginning of new sentence..."She is eleven years older..
Spell out 4
Change the sentences in pertaining to your sister so that they do not all start with "she"---needs more variety
Last sentence about your sister is a run-on, reword
Change..."Knowing that...

I would also take out the intro on yourself as it does not pertain to the question and add in a stronger statement in the beginning to why you are not choosing one person.

Good luck, sorry I do not know how to do the auto-correct.
rondevious 1 / 13 3  
First off... DO NOT... introduce yourself like Hi... blahblah my name is...- sounds very informal and no essay should be introduced like it. I am already bored by reading your first paragraph. You need to start with a lead in- a hook. Also since your essay is about a person of importance, do not write about yourself liking soccer etc.

ALSO.
Choose one person and elaborate. By doing two, you lose focus of who has impacted you the MOST and you also do not address the prompt since it asks you for a "person" not "persons".

Hope this helps.
I would rewrite your essay again.

Home / Undergraduate / 'my own little village' - Texas Essay A-Someone who has impacted your life