'the painting competition' - (Grinnell Supplement)

gugavar 2 / 2  
The essay is in a terrible condition, please anybody can help and correct.
Thank you very much, here is the essay:

What was the most memorable advice, good or bad, you have ever received? Did you follow it? What happened? (approximately 250 words):

Once, when I was 8 years old, my father took my several paintings to the painting competition. I did not have any hope of the paintings' success and I told my dad that it was senseless to take the paintings to the competition, he answered: If you never try, you'll never know. Although my paintings did not win the competition, the advice was the most profound and valuable I have ever received from anyone.

After that my whole life was driven by the advice. As a kid I often used to say that I did not like something because of my prejudice, I used to estimate things according to their look from the outside. The advice changed everything. When there appeared new possibilities, after I have received the advice, I never hesitated to utilize them; I tried to be engaged in various eclectic fields. I found that "trial and error" method was not functional only in science, but it helped me a lot in my life. I often involved myself in spheres that seemed unfamiliar or bizarre to me. I was not always satisfied with the "trials", but the "errors" were priceless experiences. I got well-known with the fact that if I don't try, I'll never know what could have happened; and if I try, even if my attempt is fruitless, it gives me something costly: experience.
Leehoo 5 / 10  
I'm not a native speaker, so I just tried my best. Good job~

Home / Undergraduate / 'the painting competition' - (Grinnell Supplement)