'Pakistani culture and daugters' - WHY NYU

qr1995 3 / 7  
Any opinions are appreciated! Please be HARSH and let me know what you think!

Prompt: NYU's global network provides students with hundreds of academic areas of interest for students to cultivate their intellectual curiosity and to help achieve their career goals. Whether you are entirely undecided about your academic plans or you have a definitive program of study in mind, what are your own academic interests? Feel free to share any thoughts on any particular programs or how you might explore those interests at NYU on any of our campuses.

In the Pakistani culture, daughters are considered a burden on their parents because they cannot provide the same degree of financial and social security to the family that sons can. I want to prove to all Pakistani parents that as a woman I can do just about anything that a man can do, if not more. My dream is to become the first female doctor in my family; one that can offer services at little to no cost to those living in third world countries. Being born in a third world country, I have personally witnessed the devastation that poverty can cause to a family and to a nation. I want to ensure that no families are ever turned down for medical treatment due to financial reasons. NYU will cultivate my academic credentials while learning amongst a community of world citizens. The university's impeccable standards and the numerous opportunities offered in NYC will help transform my "far-fetched" dream into a strong reality. The major in Biology program will allow me to explore the various areas of Biology and will introduce me to the modern concepts and methods of experimentation. NYU's global network offers me the opportunity to study abroad, providing me the necessary exposure to share my aspirations about developing social enterprises in poverty-stricken countries with a global audience. New York University is a perfect match, but it is missing the addition of one quirky, passionate, loud, and a die-heart fan of the Backstreet Boys girl that just wishes for a chance.
ticklelisaelmo 8 / 42 3  
I think this is a good essay. I see that you mentioned being the first female doctor in your fam. Did you also apply to Barnard - I think this would be a great essay for Barnard. Also, what is the question? Is this the academic interests one?
OP qr1995 3 / 7  
Yes this is the academic interests one! And no I am not applying to, NYU has been always my top choice

Home / Undergraduate / 'Pakistani culture and daugters' - WHY NYU