'My parent first got me interested in math' - Honors College Essay #2

Sabahm5456 2 / 4  
I just need someone to proofread!!Thanks!
prompt--Academic and Professional Goals Statement:
Please describe your motivation for choosing your intended career and include any experiences you have had that contributed to your choice.

When I was young I was not able to comprehend the reasons why I enjoy math. All I knew was that I was fascinated by the way my dad was able to do calculations in his head. However, now I realize that math is complex, absolute, and elegant, I know why I enjoy it. With proofs, derivatives, and theories all leading to one right answer. My prior fascination has helped me grow into a student who now loves math.

My parent first got me interested in math when I was a child. I was amazed by the fact that my dad could do complex math in his head. I would watch him correct the cashier when she returned the wrong amount of cash and get us major discounts on food by looking for sales and coupons. Then in his mind he would compare stores and see where we would be able to find the cheapest canned tomato sauce. As a child I was fascinated by this because I only new how to do math by punching numbers into a calculator and then recieving an answer. So my mom decided to teach me how to multiply by sitting me down and making me memorize the times table. It was a tediously mind numbing task for an eight year old who rather be outside playing to do. However, as I grew older I became glad that my mom had chosen to teach me how to multiply because it became my math foundation. In school I was able to grasps concepts of algebra, geometry, and pre-calculus quickly. I would then help my friends and peers who didn't understand the material. Taking honors pre-calculus has also helped me see that I want to major in math. This is because even though I am greatly challenged by it, the feeling of great accomplishment I feel after I have solved a problem makes me enjoy the challenge I received in the first place.

Even though at first I despised learning to count and multiply, I learned that every loss can also be a gain, both numerically and literally. For example I would be upset when my mom would make me do time tables instead of letting me play outside yet later I felt greatly accomplished when my teacher would ask a math question and I would be the only to get it right. Now as a senior in high school I see math is present everything we do and see. Societies function on math, and so does nature. It connects the world and everything in the universe together. It is for these reasons why I have decided to major in math and in the future follow a career that deals with math.
Vinny_Pooh 3 / 7  
Try wording some of these sentences differently such as:
I know why I enjoy it
instead try something like:... absolute, elegant, and most importantly I understand why I enjoy it.

My parent first got me interested in math when I was a child.
Instead try something like: My father first go me interested in math when I was a child.

I was amazed by the fact that my dad could do complex math in his head.
Instead try something like: I was amazed by the fact that my dad could do such intricate and complex formulations in his mind.

With proofs, derivatives, and theories all leading to one right answer.
Perhaps eliminate this sentence?

As a child I was fascinated by this because I only new how to do math
only *knew*

eight year old who rather be outside
who *would* rather be

This is because even though I am greatly challenged by it,
Try something like: Even though i am greatly challenged by the study of mathematics...

Even though at first I despised learning to count and multiply,
try something like: Despite the fact that I despised learning

You did not answer the question regarding your intended career. If you are undecided, mention so.

Home / Undergraduate / 'My parent first got me interested in math' - Honors College Essay #2