Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

My parents continually pushed me to be the very best - MIT Admissions Essay

Aleksey 3 / -  
Describe the world you come from, for example your family, clubs, school, community or town. How has the world shaped your dreams and aspirations? (500 Words)

My parents separated a year after my birth seemed strange to me but I never questioned it. Though I was raised differently by each of my parents, my unique experiences with each of them molded my multifaceted personality from various angles. I grew and expanded my horizons both introspectively and socially with each new interaction with my parents. Their combined efforts are what inspired me to get involved in the world of business.

My mother and father are fundamentally different. While my mother is engaging and outgoing, my father is more of a scholar. As a child every weekend, without fail, I would spend endless hours at my father's apartment which seemed to be worlds away from my home with my mother. As we had our meal together, my father would ask me about my ideas about the future. He never discouraged any of my ideas and would always support my pursuits. As we ate, my father would also teach me little things. "Loyalty, honesty, and self reliance are what you should strive for in life," he would say.

Ironically, unlike stereotypical fathers, he would never help me with my homework, projects, or dilemmas. My father constantly pushed me to think for myself, to evolve my own ideas, insights and opinions of the world around me. Every night, I watched the Russian International News with him and absorbed morsels of information about politics, global economies, and the sciences around me. I didn't understand all that I saw, but each bit of news stimulated my passions and ambitions to experience global cultures for myself.

Unlike my father, my mother introduced me to the world through art and music. I walked through art galleries and museums, sat through dozens of orchestras, operas, and ballets. Although I occasionally resisted in my childish temperament, I never failed to enjoy myself. I was educated in art, chess, acrobatics, Tae Kwon Do, guitar, and much more in my mom's pursuit to enrich my character despite financial difficulties. Regardless of all this leisure my mother harshly taught me the importance of responsibility and discipline.

My parents continually pushed me to be the very best I can be by supporting my individuality and strive for independence. Ultimately I began thinking for myself as a responsible and mature adult that I was molded to be. The trials and obstacles that formed the basis of my childhood developed my aspirations to more clearly understand the interactions in the global community both culturally like my mother, and logically like my father. Furthermore, my upbringing solidified my dreams of connecting society through business and finance. Educating the population to be more responsible and disciplined about their money is an ideal to strive for. Therefore, I find it important to appreciate your roots, since it is my roots that made me who I am and affect who I will be for many years to come.

Home / Undergraduate / My parents continually pushed me to be the very best - MIT Admissions Essay