My parents got divorced; Significant Challenge I've faced: MIT

theboss639 3 / 4  
The prompt is: Tell us about the most significant challenge you've faced or something important that didn't go according to plan. How did you manage the situation? (200-250 words)

I am at 249 words.
Please look it over. :)

The door slammed shut, and I knew it was over. All I could do was stand there foolishly as he left without even saying goodbye. During middle school, my parents got divorced. I never dreamt that my parents would get divorced, as it has never happened in our family. I decided to stay with my mom because she was the best mom in the world.

That year, an array of emotions filled my heart. He did not ask me to come with him. On my birthday, I waited for his call in vain. Since then, he has broken all contacts with us. As a result, we were trapped in a financially difficult situation. I was angry for not having a "perfect" family. I felt very sad, but refused to display my emotions around my family and friends. When my friends would invite me to play with them, I ignored them and pretended to do homework.

I consider the divorce of my parents as an unfortunate event in my life, but I have decided to not let it or anything else restrict me from succeeding. Once in a while I do think of him; nevertheless, I prevent the thoughts from having a negative impact on me. Through this hardship, I have emerged stronger, compassionate and further motivated to succeed. As Kenji Miyazawa said, "We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey." Through the divorce, I have realized that my mom and I are the perfect family.

Thank you for your input. :)
easyfu 3 / 18  
When my friends would invite me to play with them

I don't know but that sounds a bit akward for me
I love your essay. It is touching!!
Good job
fishie21 3 / 17  
hey! your essay is emotional and touching, and is well worded!
aricar17 4 / 8  
Since then, he has broken all contacts with us.

--broken all contact with us

your essay is really moving!

Home / Undergraduate / My parents got divorced; Significant Challenge I've faced: MIT