'... if my parents had never been separated' - Texas A&M Topic C

victoriacuellar 1 / 2  
Topic:
There may be personal information that you want considered as part of your admissions application. Write an essay describing that information. You might include exceptional hardships, challenges, or opportunities that have shaped or impacted your abilities or academic credentials, personal responsibilities, exceptional achievements or talents, educational goals, or ways in which you might contribute to an institution committed to creating a diverse learning environment.

Essay:

Sometimes i sit and wonder how life would be like now if my parents had never been separated. I often wish i could go back in time and do something to change it, so i could see them happy right about now. Seeing my family torn apart saddens me so much, but makes me open my eyes and realize many things about life in general.

Seven years ago, around the time my grandma passed away, I noticed something very unusual going on with my parents. As the days went by, i noticed that my dad was slowly drifting away from us. He stopped coming home right after work as he usually did, and eventually he stopped coming home on time for dinner. Although I noticed those things, I knew my dad loved us, even though he wasn't there for us as much, he always made up for it. So i wondered, "Why would daddy do such a thing?".

He always bought me everything and anything i ever wanted. I was his little girl, his first born, so i thought that was normal for him to do. He would spoil me like crazy, and when my siblings came into the picture he did the same with them. As i got a bit older, i started realizing that my dad was keeping something from us, and had too be spoiling us this much for a reason. He did it too keep us quite. He never thought we would eventually find out his secret.

In 2006, my mom found out that my dad was having an affair. She hid it from us and acted as if nothing was wrong for months and months. Being the oldest child and already a sophomore in high school, I just knew what was going on, she did not have too explain. I was there too comfort her, protect her, and guide her through this hardship. It made me realize that the people who love you the most will always be there for you no matter what. Unfortunately, my father was not one

of those people and still is not to this day.

For the next few years, their relationship was like a roller coaster. Never did i see positive signs nor negative signs, it was just a blur. Eventually, i thought they were finally back to their normal selves, but i was wrong. In 2010, the day right before Thanksgiving, my dad came home and told us he was leaving the house. We asked him why and he respond with, "I just don't love your mother anymore, I have not for the past few years." Once i heard those words, i knew and realized that

this man i called my father, was not and had never been a real father figure to myself, his own biological daughter.

This separation is something i never wished had happened to my family, but unfortunately did. It has made me realize that the ones who love you the most, are the ones who are there for you a hundred percent. My mom is the one who cares and loves me the most more than anyone else i know. She has not only been my mom but she has been my dad as well. She is very supportive in everything i do, she's my best friend.

Things happen for a reason and wether we like it or not, we have too accept it. We cannot create our future or the outcome of a hardship, but just go along with it, after all this is life. You may not like what you have too go through, but in the end the ones who care for you most will be there no matter what.
shutterbutter92 2 / 3  
-"I often wish "i" could go back in time and do something to change it", --Capitalize the "i" throughout the essay

-"and had too be spoiling us this much for a reason. He did it too keep us quite"--You misspelled quiet
gabriellek 1 / 2  
This is pretty good. Maybe elaborate a little more on how this has helped you develop into the person you are today and how its impacted your personal responsibilities. Just make sure you really answer the question. But other than that it's a touching story!

Home / Undergraduate / '... if my parents had never been separated' - Texas A&M Topic C