Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

My parents shaped me into the man I am today; UT (impact/important person)

pthrowed 1 / -  
Write an essay in which you tell us about someone who has made an impact on your life and explain how and why this person is important to you.

I looked at them with the blood running down my chin; "I might need a bandage," I told them. In a blink of an eye, they stood up and ran to me with disbelief. Next thing I know I'm on a motorbike going faster than the speed of light to the hospital. I will never forget that day. My parent's main concern, during that moment in time, was my well being and even today their main concern is still-and always will be-my well being. My parents have stuck though it all with me, from the thick through the thin.

Through this adventurous journey of mine, the biggest influence they have on me is their selfless manner: their ability to put my brother and me before anything and everything. About four years ago, my father decided to go back to college at the University of Georgia to do his residency in Pathology- a process that would take four year. In my mind, I thought, "Why would he do that? Why would he sacrifice his family to leave and do something work related, he already had his PHD, was it not enough for him?" This left me infuriated at him for the longest time. I always thought of him as being selfish for abandoning us. It was only recently I realized that he only left to provide us with more. I had been the selfish one for thinking about my happiness. I had gotten trapped in wanting my father back so much that I couldn't see the bigger picture: the picture a happier family.

These past four years haven't exactly been a walk in the park. Out of all my family, the stress overwhelms my mother the most. She is under so much pressure that is has come to the point of crating a health risk. Although filled with all of this pressure, she hasn't forgotten what she sacrificing for: her children. She has become a single parent who has had to play the role of mom and dad. If you were ever to walk into my house you would see my mother always working, never at rest. She has done everything to make ends meet, from working on the weekends to cooking a home cooked meal every day. She has virtually done everything she can do to make sure her my brother and I are happy. Although I haven't made it easy for her, if there was anything I could change in life I would prevent myself from causing her any unnecessary stress. The most impressive thing is, no matter how stressed and overwhelmed she feels, she always finds a way to put a smile on her face

Home / Undergraduate / My parents shaped me into the man I am today; UT (impact/important person)