"my parents to teach and groom" - short 150 word response.

jenf3r 3 / 15  
Hi i hope this relates to the topic, Thanks

Please describe a situation from your own experience in which you recognized and overcame your own assumptions, biases and prejudices in pursuit of greater understanding and tolerance of others or describe such a situation which continues to challenge you.

Being the first generation American and the first born in my family my parents had it engraved in me from birth to make good grades, care for my younger brother and remain well mannered. Of all these requirements I understood, but growing the responsibilities became less banal than what was required of my perception of a normal teenager. I became relied on to translate bills, find orthodontists and (--), I felt burdened with responsibilities suited for parents. It was frustrating to be heavily depended on and getting scolded if I didn't meet the requirements. Over time I matured and recognized that every family functions differently. Now my perception of a normal teenage life has changed because I'm living it, my assumption of parent responsibilities were cliched abstracts, but what I am living is real. It is the reality of having responsibilities that my parent implemented that will groom me for the future.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good evening :)

What was the assumption, bias, or prejudice that you overcame to understand others that were different of you in this piece? You clarify that you overcame your feelings about your parents' dependence on you, but your feelings were what you overcame. What exactly was that feeling? Was it assumption, bias, or prejudice? Please clarify further to make sure your audience stays with you.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
OP jenf3r 3 / 15  
i re-edited please look over it
OP jenf3r 3 / 15  
Help? please
I understood these requirements, but growing up the responsibilities became less banal than what might be the case for a normal teenager.

Now my perception of a normal teenage life has changed because I'm living it, my assumption of parent responsibilities were cliched abstracts, but what I am living is real.

I made some changes above, for your consideration. Good luck!!

Kevin
OP jenf3r 3 / 15  
Hey Thanks alot Kevin, in your opinion do you think my response is good?
Yes, it is very thoughtful and meaningful. You can improve it by adding an opening sentence that sums up the meaning of the whole thing. Writing an opening sentence like that should be interesting for you.

:)

Kevin

Home / Undergraduate / "my parents to teach and groom" - short 150 word response.