'a part of the band' - Common app: extracurricular essay

sarah2013 1 / -  
This is my extracurricular activity essay for the common application.
1,000 character is the maximum, and mine is 999 with spaces!
Any feedback is appreciated :)

Prompt:
Please briefly elaborate on one of your extracurricular activities or work experiences in the space below (1,000 character maximum)

Being a part of the band has been one of my most rewarding high school experiences. I began as a flute player in 6th grade - being a part of a music group out of necessity. Later I realized that I loved being a part of the large family of friends that most people knew as "the band kids". Sadly, I was not able to be in band through all of high school. I had a schedule conflict my junior year which prevented me from being in the class. During the fall while I was in color guard, we had performances during football games, parades, and marching band competitions. I have spun flag, rifle, air blade, and cane. In the other seasons, there is pep band and concerts in which I play bass clarinet. All of these performances along with practice took up a large portion of my time. Because of this, band has taught me much more than how to play an instrument or how to march. I learned the importance of dedication to a team along with time management which was crucial in order to maintain a balance.
Being a part of the band has been one of my most rewarding high school experiences.

Later, I realized that I loved being a part of the large family of friends that most people knew as "the band kids".

I had a schedule conflict my junior year, which prevented me from being in the class.---Your essay would be much more personal if you write what instrument you played.

During the other seasons, there is pep band and concerts in which I play bass clarinet.

All of these performances, along with practice, took up a large portion of my time.

I learned the importance of dedication to a team, along with time management which was crucial in order to maintain a balance.

:)

Home / Undergraduate / 'a part of the band' - Common app: extracurricular essay