"participating the GEECS and the IEEE" - Umich which unique qualuties...

JIstudent 1 / -  
Describe the unique qualities that attract you to the specific undergraduate College or School to which you are applying at the University of Michigan. How would that curriculum support your interests? (500 words maximum)

During the freshmen year in the Joint Institute of Shanghai Jiaotong University, I was quite interested in doing projects. Although I had rare opportunities to do some engineering projects in the previous high school, I found that it was interesting to be a participant in a project team, dealing with circuit connection, programming and debugging parts. When I heard of that the robotic racecar of my team had won fourth rank among 17 teams (using the material with the least cost compared to that of other teams), I had never been so proud of myself. Doing projects is worthy of all the efforts, no matter how desperate I felt when the deadline was coming soon while I was still struggling to debug the code and adjust the sensors all night but only to find that the racecar would still career off the track. It was such an amazing procedure that I decided to do more meaningful and exciting projects in the future. I also hope to gain more experience and enhance my electrical engineering skills.

Consequently, one course in particular attracts me is EECS 427 which introduces integrated circuit design. This course not only is a theoretic lecture covering the CMOS processes, design rules, circuit characterization, performance estimation and other principles and knowledge, but also is a project-oriented course. It provides an opportunity to design a modest-sized CMOS integrated circuit. What's more, the time for working is flexible, which will be very convenient for me. The EECS 427 is a higher level course requiring the fundamental knowledge in the working principle of each circuit element and the logic design, so the courses like EECS 270, EECS 311 and EECS 320 can help me to lay the foundation for the projects.

Another unique quality catches my eyes is that there are a variety of researches provided for students. The Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program will give me a perfect chance to find an engineering research topic and establish a project. It can definitely create for me valuable and memorable experiences outside the classroom. I believe that the UROP can help me to be more professional in my academic field which is electrical engineering, and can also exhibit a real graduate or professional school life. Also the EECS Undergraduate Research Program offers support to undergraduate students to work with a faculty member on a research project of mutual interest. With those large amount of opportunities of doing projects, I will think and learn more, and thus can broaden my horizon and enhance my engineering skills.

In addition to the attractive academic engineering study, I am also deeply impressed by the abundant and colorful student life in EECS department. In the Joint Institute, I took part in some activities like being a journalist in Student Union News Department and I made many friends there. The life of EECS students is even more appealing. I am interested in participating the GEECS and the IEEE. The activities organized by the unique student organizations will not only be good opportunities to expose me to new technical advances, but also can reinforce my social skills and leadership.
mhjohnson05 3 / 4  
it was well written. you may want to talk more about qualities of umich as a school compared to just specifically focusing on the engineering program.
calvinhmw 9 / 21  
These are just my personal suggestions. You used too many "be interested in " so I just substituted some of them by other words. Also I have modified some sentences that seemed wordy or werid.

Anyway, use some complex words and structures to make your essay stand out !! :)

BTW, have you submitted your application? Are you currently attending college in China? What is your QQ number?

Home / Undergraduate / "participating the GEECS and the IEEE" - Umich which unique qualuties...