Some parts of me are that of an Asian girl; MIT/ cultural background and identity

LovePhys 1 / 1  
Thank you for reading my essay. I really appreciate that. Please do not hesitate to leave harsh comments as I really want to improve my work.

Topic: Please tell us more about your cultural background and identity in the space below (100 word limit).
--------------------------------------------------------
There's a cultural blend inside me.

Some parts of me are that of an Asian girl. I love Asian culture and traditions, specifically Vietnamese's Tet Festival and Japanese Tea Ceremony, which carry deep meanings. Despite being Vietnamese I enjoy learning Chinese. I like the way each character tells its own story, and Lao Tzu's philosophy.

Yet, after three years of studying in Australia, another side of me has flourished. I start to develop some interests in thrilling sports: rockclimbing, and skydiving. I like how Western teenagers are independent and assertive.

When I'm in Vietnam, I miss Australia a little bit...

Word count: 100 words
it seems you have got good substance, but I feel you could have lots of potential for further improvement. You talk about Vietnamese, Japanese and Chinese cultrues. What is your relationship with these cultures? Your parents come from these cultures or you grew up in those cultures? Better you clear that doubt :)
OP LovePhys 1 / 1  
Thanks for the input, dumi!
In other parts of the application, I have already filled in information about my parents' ethnicity and occupation, so I think I would only focus on my cultural background... I really have no connections with other cultures (Chinese culture and Japanese culture), I'm just interested in them, or on a broader scale, Asian culture. :)

You're right, I think I should clear that up in the "additional information" section :)
Well, my approach would be that telling them your cultural roots (cultures of your parents) and the environments you grew and currently live. What you appreciate does not form your cultural identity easily. If it does so, then you need to talk through more evidence. I feel it's a bit of a complicated thing to do. However, you can tell them you appreciate those Asian cultures and you knowledge on them have influenced your character.

Home / Undergraduate / Some parts of me are that of an Asian girl; MIT/ cultural background and identity