'Passion for debate and joy of winning' - extracurricular Short Essay

alladin06 2 / 4 1  
Please briefly elaborate on one of your extracurricular activities or work experiences in the space below (1000 character maximum).

Debate has allowed me to take my passion for information and combine it with my logical reasoning in a competitive setting. Debate is one part argument and two parts research. After all, if I don't understand a topic, I won't be able to make a very convincing argument for or against it. Countless hours are spent painstakingly researching every aspect of the resolution. After compiling this plethora of data into a case, I would finally be ready to put all of that knowledge to use. When I walk into the room to begin my round, I am filled with a rush of adrenaline that is from in part nerves but also the excitement of doing what I love. Besides the exhilaration of arguing , I also have met some amazing people. Some of the closest personal bonds I have made came from a mutual enthusiasm for debate. Through the joys of winning and the sorrows of losing, my teammates have become like a family to me. Debate has become my haven, my home away from home.
gbeck 1 / 2  
The essay as a whole is pretty solid, debate is a great activity! The only thing I would say is that you should clear up these 2 sentences: Countless hours are spent painstakingly researching every aspect of the resolution. After compiling this plethora of data into a case, I would finally be ready to put all of that knowledge to use.

I had to reread them to understand exactly what you meant and if you can make this as easy to read as possible that will benefit you because admissions officers have TONS of essays to read.

Best of luck to you!
OP alladin06 2 / 4 1  
Is this a better phrasing? "I have spent countless hours painstakingly researching every aspect of the resolution. After having compiled this data into a case, I would finally be ready to put all of that knowledge to use."
gbeck 1 / 2  
That clears it up more for sure.
shmegg 7 / 26 1  
Try and avoid conjunctions (won't=will not)
Also..I feel you should see if you can think of a first sentence without mentioning "debate" in it. It's very sudden to say debate as your first word. I would think a transition introduction/hook sentence would flow best. But if you love it, its not the biggest deal!

Home / Undergraduate / 'Passion for debate and joy of winning' - extracurricular Short Essay