A passion for research and a change for the world (Michigan research community)

tehfunkicookie 19 / 50  
Hi guys! This is my essay for why I want to enter the MRC (michigan research community). Its due in about an hour and I need some opinions! You can be as hard as you like as long as you back it up (:

If you read and grade it, I will read yours too =)

Based on this description of the program, please tell us why you would be a good candidate for membership in the MRC next year.

Although my fellow classmates find it very annoying, I have discovered that my habit for asking questions has been one of the key characteristics that has made me diverse from others. Whether it be questions about engineering such as "Is it possible to make a water combustion engine or a neutrinos powered engine?" or questions about theory of knowledge such as "Does knowledge require some form of rational basis?", I've realized that this habit has not only aided in and enhanced my erupting passion for research but has also opened doors and opportunities for new discoveries and innovative ideas. Having been participated in plant biology research as well as being a Brahma Tech research intern, I have obtained personal research experience and developed strong personal relationships with others that have allowed me not only to develop emotionally but also academically; as a result, I believe that I am a qualified candidate for the Michigan Research Community.

As an IB senior taking Biology HL, I have done extensive research concerning plant life and morphology. In addition, I have also participated in Brahma Tech research concerning technology and its affect on the human population. Participating in numerous labs and one year-long research project with a 4,000 word essay regarding Pea plants and egg white, I have not only gained special experience in the researching field but also developed individual skills that have helped to work and study better. Furthermore, besides gaining deep insight and exploring the frontiers of biology, I have also developed personal relationship with my research mentor as well as other students involved in the same research projects as I have.

However, something I noticed through my biology research was that I was not satisfied. Despite the numerous questions and knowledge I've accumulated, I desired to go out of thinking box and onto more complex research that would affect the outside world. And both of these desires can be fulfilled through the Michigan Research Community because through the MRC, I can be exposed to not only the interdisciplinary nature of research but also to new perspectives through the eyes of an engineer, continuing to ask and formulate new questions as I expose myself to the new stimulating academic field. I can go beyond the high school laboratories and enter a community that I can engage with people who have similar or different passions. Furthermore, with the MRC, it is not longer the question of "So what is the research question professor and when is it due?" but "Is the lab open daily and can I research multiple topics?" With my "asking question habit" and past research experience, I believe that I am a qualified candidate for the Michigan Research Community because I can use this opportunity at the MRC to carry out and successfully fulfill my thirst for research and explore the frontiers of multiple research fields such as engineering and biology.
OP tehfunkicookie 19 / 50  
MHMM YOU WERE. HAHAH :D

I was bout to turn it in. but i'm correcting it right now =)

Thanks very much for the comments!! :D

really appreciate it.

Home / Undergraduate / A passion for research and a change for the world (Michigan research community)