Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

passion for social justice/ Kellner Performing Arts Centre ; BARNARD; Why?/ Community

jojoy3 1 / -  
Hello, could you please check grammar, sentence structure etc thank you.

How did you first learn about Barnard College and what factors have influenced your decision to apply? Why do you think the College would be a good match for you?

Hearing about Barnard College, over the summer, from a friend who had graduated from another women's college, I knew I had to learn more. As a budding feminist and social activist, I knew I wanted to attend a women's college where students were presented with opportunities to excel, and where students are supported in their self discovery. Visiting the website for the first time, the "Dare to Use the F Word" podcast, Social Justice house, and the Barnard Centre for Research on Women reeled me in because it meant that at Barnard and in New York, I could continue to explore my passion for social justice. Not only that, the course catalogue filled with courses in theatre, psychology, gender studies classes and so on made my skin tingle at the possibility of being exposed to professors who are passionate about helping their students achieve and grow. Furthermore, the friendships I'd develop surrounded by women like me who value community, are not afraid to speak their minds, and who respect different viewpoints. Finally, growing up in Nigeria, I yearn for a college experience where I am exposed to the different cultures and perspectives around me, as I also share my culture and perspective. At Barnard, my experiences would positively impact those around me. At Barnard, my opportunities would be but a trek away.

Community - educational, geographic, religious, political, ethnic, or other - can define an individual's experience and influence her journey. How has your community, as you identify it, shaped your perspective?

The Kellner Performing Arts Centre with its red bricks and glass doors is a space that is shaping my perspective. Most afternoons, for two hours, I can be found sitting in the first row of the theatre writing, in a folder, the blocking and giving directions for the school's play. While I attended school in Nigeria, I was not privileged enough to have a formal performing arts department, nor were consistent plays performed. Having Kellner and its assets at my disposal has really made me aware of how privileged I am and encouraged me to take advantage of the resources. Whether I'm giving input on a scene or I'm coaching a middle school speech student or choreographing a dance, I've really learned the value of serving others and gained confidence in sharing my perspective. The different people I'm surrounded by at Kellner have showed me the beauty of seeing a project through different lenses, and taught me that a second opinion never hurts. Though I haven't had any formal education in theatre, if I'm given the opportunity to attend Barnard, I know I'll bring a different viewpoint, while taking advantage of the many resources and opportunities I'll be surrounded by.

Alumna and writer Anna Quindlen says that she "majored in unafraid" at Barnard. Tell us about a time when you majored in unafraid. (250 word limit)

"What! Joy, are you sure about this? Explain, I don't understand.", Obioma says with her large, brown eyes wide open as she leans against the red, brick walls of Grange School. It's recess and we're waiting for our friends to join us.

"Yes," I laugh nervously, "Well, I'm doing it. You know, I really don't like being confined and that's exactly what the British curriculum is designed to do. Once you pick a path, there's no freedom to explore other courses or change your mind. Yo, I'm not about that life."

Obioma frowns as she places her long, brown arms on my shoulders. "But you're going to go to America. You don't have family where your school is, nor have you ever been to Massachusetts. Joy, just go to school in England. Life will be so much easier-no adjusting or whatever." She smiles, "Plus, you'd be able to visit me."

"I know, I know." I reply as the self doubt creeps in, "People keep saying I shouldn't go and what not. Admittedly, it is kinda scary going somewhere new by myself..." Silence follows.

Obioma smiles, "I'm proud of you though. Dude, what you're doing is kinda cool. I could never..."
I smile back as we're interrupted by the loud voices of our friends. As we all walk together, I walk with a spring in my step, because I am ready to do what others do not think of doing. I am ready to breakaway to carve my own path.

Home / Undergraduate / passion for social justice/ Kellner Performing Arts Centre ; BARNARD; Why?/ Community