"My Passion for Wrestling" - Common App 1000 character (HELP)

mhk1294 2 / 7  
As you all know, the common app extracurricular writing assignment has a 1000 character limit. You must write about an experience which impacted your life. This little paragraph is 998 characters so just under the maximum amount. I looked at a few of the common app essays on here and got my inspiration from a few specific pieces. Basically just tell me what you think and if it needs to be changed at all! Thanks so much! - Matt

When the first day of wrestling came, I arrived clueless. The practice began and coach yelled "Hey Kevelson; you're going to wrestle Rob." I went to the center of the mat, assumed the position of what I thought a wrestler would look like, and hoped for the best. The outcome was me losing the match and realizing I was marvelously out of place. While still face down on the mat, I heard an encouraging voice over my shoulder. It was Rob, the senior All-County wrestler who had just beat me, telling me not to worry and that one day I could become as good of a wrestler as he was, or maybe even better. From that day on, wrestling became a passion more than a hobby. My passion grew from my desire to succeed in the sport, and that is exactly what I did. I went from lying face down on the mat after my first match, to becoming the senior team captain as well as an All-County wrestler. My first day of wrestling taught me to never underestimate yourself, and that if you work hard, you can succeed.
Enabledowner 4 / 14  
As a fellow wrestler, this is amazing.
I went from lying face up on the mat after my first match.
Your writing is superb.
Good luck!
yehitsjonathan 2 / 2  
The outcome was me losing the match and realizing I was marvelously out of place.

Try SHOWING this instead of telling.

Otherwise, a great response. Good luck!
OP mhk1294 2 / 7  
Thank you so much! It's always nice to see another fellow wrestler on here!

Home / Undergraduate / "My Passion for Wrestling" - Common App 1000 character (HELP)