Passion for writing/ Conservative background/ ; UT Austin Part 1

nair 7 / 21 3  
The passion of writing for me began when I was around five years old. I still remember how I use to go up to everyone, begging, one would say to read my piece, read my stories I wrote but none of them ever showed the enthusiasm. As I was slowly entering the phase of demotivation, breaking into pieces or even like an unsolvable puzzle, there was this one special person who picked every broken piece of me and mended me together. Gluing me with motivation and polished me with compliments. She was willing to read every story I wrote regardless of the circumstances around, coming home late from work, or had to go to court the next day. An exceptional self -made, self educated lawyer and an incredible sensational woman on the inside. That lady would be no one besides my aunt.

Growing up in Malaysia with the minds of conservative individuals, it was hard to truly express my writing skills. At the age of 13, I was constantly bullied in high school. People used to degrade me for who I am. Some called me an abnormal human being for constantly have the urge to write and preach in what I believe in. I came home, sobbing, wondering what have I done so miserably wrong to get bullied so badly. She always came to my room, and told me to divert all my frustration into something I would so beautifuly produce, stories. And there it all began, I wrote whatever excite me. I grew very close to my aunt regardless of the age difference. She was someone who knew everything about me. She knew when I was upset, she knew when I was lying and she knew when I needed motivation. The constant squabbles we used to have was what made us closer.

A self made educated lawyer graduated from the University of London and became a barrister at a very young age. I used to think she was so blessed, with a law degree and an excellent job. She used to tell me about how her colleagues were jealous once in a while, but to me, that was the sign of a successful lawyer. However, all this was taken away when she was diagnosed with endometriosis cancer. With the negligence by the doctors and the hospital, I knew that this was the way I was going to lose her forever. What went through a 16 year old's mind at that point of time was how helpless she was, to not be able to help her aunt at her time of need.

As I was going through medical problems back then, I still went to visit my aunt at the hospital during the last few days when she was alive. Obviously, my pain was compared far lesser than hers. Yet, she had tears in her eyes knowing I was suffering and asked me if I was okay. Words couldn't desribe how I felt at that point of time, the lady who was bedridden and was fighting death was having tears in her eyes knowing I was in the slightest amount of pain. That was when I realized I wouldn't want to do anything more but to make her proud. Get my degree from one of the world's best universities and make her content. She may not be with me physically, but I know the day of my graduation, she will be looking down and will be smiling knowing that her niece have finally made her proud. Unfortunately, she took her last breath four days before my sweet sixteen birthday and I didn't lose an aunt, but I lost a guardian angel.

My aunt is irreplacable. The amount of motivation and courage she gave made me realize that nothing will ever break me. I can go through many obstacles that come, I can go through the pessimistic comments I may sometimes face and I can be easily proud of every little accomplishment I make. Because I am the person I am today if it was not for my aunt. A lady of gem and an amazing soul. May she rest in peace.
OP nair 7 / 21 3  
forgive me, i thought i wrote the question to this essay. it is about the person who has made an impact on you.
serdarovez 10 / 33 3  
really good written, nice essay. It shows your passion and personality.

But some parts are a little bit wordy.

And i think you should write more about how exactly she made an impact on you, like give more details.

I wish i could write essays like this.

Good luck with your application, hope this essay will get you to " one of the world's best universities"

Be sure to read my Berea essay. Thanks ;)

Home / Undergraduate / Passion for writing/ Conservative background/ ; UT Austin Part 1