Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

'Always passionate about how stuff works' The question: Why am I choosing mechanical engineering?

uniquebilal 1 / -  
Please provide an essay that explains why you chose your intended program of study. What interests you the most about this major? If Undecided, what areas of study do you look forward to studying in college? (50-500 words)*

My ans :- From an early age, I was very passionate about how stuff works. I would often wonder how the car accelerates just by pushing your leg on a pedal or does the AC just sucks in the cool air from the outside and exhales it inside. In my 6th grade, for a school project, I made my first basic DC circuit and was very excited to see such a simple setup light up a LED. And then of course came the AC current and a whole new way to transfer current came into existence for me. This is why the interest in engineering grew in me. There was always something new to learn. I got to learn the basics in O-levels and I was very sure from that point that engineering is what I want to do. So with this in mind I picked physics chemistry and maths in A-levels and I just loved them for they taught me so much about the world we live in. When the topic of magnetism came in I got this idea of how magnets can be used to make trains more efficient and faster. And just after a month or two I saw a documentary on discovery channel about Japan making a train called maglev train based on magnets- which was not only very fast but also very efficient- just like my idea. Of course my concept was pretty basic and I didn't know the technicalities behind the project but it felt so great to see something my mind thought of being implemented in the real world. And to be a part of such projects would be absolutely wonderful. This is what drives my passion towards mechanical engineering. It will teach me the technicalities behind projects and how things work and after graduation I would be able to take part in such amazing projects.

Another reason for me is the vastness of fields in which mechanical engineers work. Even in school I was made to choose science or commerce in grade nine. And then in A-levels my subjects got cut down further to just physics, chemistry and maths. I didn't want my options to be cut down any further. I knew from an early age that I wanted to be an engineer but when it was time to select a particular engineering field, I wanted something that would not restrict my career to one industry. And I found mechanical engineering to be one such field where I would have a lot of options after graduation. For instance, mechanical engineers work in aerospace industry, automotive industry, electronics industry and the list goes on and on.

So I found Mechanical engineering to be the perfect major for me because it will not only teach me about the complexities of things but also once I graduate I would have many options for my career.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please criticize...
check grammar
and please tell me if its good enough to send it to a university

I am applying for mechanical engineering and two of the colleges on my list have asked pretty much the same question.
And also another uni has asked me the same thing but there is a word limit of 100 words. I was thinking of cutting down the same essay. So if you can suggest how to cut it down to just 100 words aswell, It would be of much help. Also I am an international applicant does that give me an excuse for bad english?

Please help

Home / Undergraduate / 'Always passionate about how stuff works' The question: Why am I choosing mechanical engineering?