My path to love and understanding

profxav 1 / -  
3. What would you say is your greatest talent or skill? How have you developed and demonstrated that talent over time?

I would say my greatest skill is my empathy. I say this because empathy is something that is not within everyone. True, many people can sympathize, but not nearly enough can empathize, for the ability to, in metaphorical terms, switch existences with another living being and feel their experiences, is something human society as a whole does not promote or teach. Due to my empathy, I am quite sensitive, and can easily find myself become extremely joyful, and then switch to a more melancholy attitude, simply because I am always feeling the energies of those around me. However, this sensitivity is both a gift and curse, the curse being the effect on my own emotions as well as how draining it can be to take in all the various emotions like waves. The gift is how it has made me realize just how blind and damaging the average human is, spouting out words of hate or ignorance, oblivious to how this may affect another, or even simply turning a blind eye to those who are in need of support.

This observation of most humans around me confounds me, how can one live their life not caring about the welfare of a total stranger? I know this question may sound strange in a sense, since why would you care about how a total stranger feels? They are not a close or loved person so why worry about them? To me, this question makes complete sense, it does not matter if it is a stranger or a loved one, their feelings matter, and your personal actions affect them in ways you could never imagine. I am even only able to truly consider this question because I can feel other people's energies, I take them inside me and for a few minutes, I am them, and suddenly, the question of why care about a stranger makes perfect sense, because while in this "state", you are them, and in so asking while in this "state", the question becomes: why care about myself?
yjung17 8 / 20 2  
I really like how you're going about this situation. But if there is one advice I can give you, I would describe a specific event where you were able to empathize with someone. This would be a way to show the admissions person a direct incident where you used your talent. I personally think, the more specific, the better!

Great job :)

Home / Undergraduate / My path to love and understanding