Peace lover / changing perceptions- About myself, perspective & what I hope to learn

zdv 12 / 68 2  
hey everyone. this is my new supplement. please give me any kind of feedback. i will appreciate it if you help me cut down about 15 words. help me and i will help you. thanks.

the prompt is: We honor the many different forms of diversity in our community. Your perspective is valuable because it comes from your life experiences, family backgrounds, and culture. Please tell us about yourself, how you plan to share your perspective with the Colgate Community, and what you hope to learn from other members of the community.

I am what I believe in
Most people call me Zhre-Ya-Dove. It is an identity I have created for myself by emphasizing different parts of my name- Shreya Yadav. Like the bird Dove, I support peace against violence. I do not know why but I like the letter "z". The "Ya" represents my socially awkward side which a lot of times is how I respond in conversations. Zhre-Ya-Dove is clumsy, shy and reserved like most teenagers. I am resolute on what I consider is right, what is not and what I have yet to decide upon. I eat meat without hesitation for I know feeding for survival is a natural instinct. I believe physical violence is incorrect in any case except when it is defensive. However, I trail off into my chain of thought when a mosquito buzzes around me trying to contemplate whether it is correct to kill a mosquito as the mosquito is only following its natural instinct of feeding while I am only trying to defend myself.

If I am accepted at Colgate, I intend to share these beliefs and more with the Colgate community. I wish to let them know who Zhreyadove is apart from the bizarre name. Meanwhile, I hope that the Colgate community helps me answer the things that I have yet to decide upon like the killing of the mosquito. I also hope to learn different perspectives from the different personalities I might meet if I am accepted and look forward to changing a few of my own beliefs based on what I will encounter in the next four years.
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  
The "Ya" represents my socially awkward side, which a lot of timesis evident in how I respond instumble through some conversations.

Zhre-Ya-Dove is clumsy, shy and reserved like most teenagers.
I don't like the idea that most teenagers fit into these descriptions.

I am resolute on what I consider is right, what is not and what I have yet to decide upon.
This actually kind of vague, try to sound more confident.

I eat meat without hesitation for I know feeding for survival is a natural instinct.
This sounds weird.. Maybe you could say something about how you have a passion for cooking, or that you really enjoy Indian food...for example

However, I trail off into my chain of thought when a mosquito buzzes around me trying to contemplate whether it is correct to kill a mosquito as the mosquito is only following its natural instinct of feeding while I am only trying to defend myself.

Maybe you could shorten this sentence: "Even when a mosquito buzzes around me, I ponder the validity of squashing it, because the mosquito is only trying to eat."
katev 18 / 120 24  
Like the bird Dove, I support peace against violence. I do not know why but I like the letter "z". The "Ya"

I would present the reasons in order of their appearance in your nickname

I wish to let them know who Zhreyadove is apart from the bizarre name

I wish to show them who Zhreyadove is behind the bizarre name. Or I wish to show them "the owner of." These aren't the best suggestions, but I do feel that you should replace "apart from" with something else, like "behind"

I am applying to Colgate as well. This is a very unique essay, good luck!
maerd2012 5 / 17 1  
Well....I dont entirely understand your point sometime.
And I thought this prompt means" how your environment shapes you"or something like that...just my own understanding

Home / Undergraduate / Peace lover / changing perceptions- About myself, perspective & what I hope to learn