'the peacefulness of my backyard' - What Matters and Why? "PB&J"

articuno 1 / 16  
C. What matters to you and why?

At the end of a tough week, I enjoy eating in the peacefulness of my backyard. I usually make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for myself. The sandwich is not too crunchy, nor soft, as my teeth melt into the bread. Proceeding to the peanut buttery goodness, I also reach the gush of luscious strawberry jam as the two unique, but complementary tastes intermingle. As I eat, my thoughts, like clouds that populated the sky overhead, begin populating my mind. It is in moments like these that I have learned to step back to appreciate the present as well as ponder and strategize for the future.

Modern thought has pushed people to believe that the future is where our eyes should be for it is the basket that holds our dreams, prospects, and goals. However at the same time, it is important to note that the ideal future we hope to manifest will not always be the actual future that surfaces. People are often running through their lives, desperately trying to grasp that future, working endlessly like androids. The future is unpredictable, and as conquering as the human spirit is, we must acknowledge that we can not completely tame it. Thus, I believe we should learn to sit back and embrace the now, and to use that time to effectively think how to approach such challenges; I know from experience that more creative, better quality ideas often surface. I also know that setting time in the week to think alone lets me understand myself better - unaffected by others' thoughts in a pristine environment. In those moments, the present gives us the leverage to procure a far better future.

The present is also when I can fully appreciate what is happening. You know that sandwich? I doubt most people would have thought it was that great - I make it with nothing fancy, but, at that moment, it is absolutely delectable. What matters to me? Taking the time to eat slowly matters to me; utilizing the now to experience and ponder the later matters to me; the present is what matters to me.

Thoughts?
priscillaaa 1 / 29  
I love how you took something so ordinary and made it personal.
I honestly dont see much wrong here.. (:

I would appreciate if you could critique my essay as well..thanks!
Sagar_Patel12 3 / 6  
Thanks for the edits. Not many grammar mistakes.

I usually make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for myself. The sandwich is notneither too crunchy, nor soft, as my teeth melt into the bread.

Overall a good essay. And in my opinion, it is rather unique.
Buffomatic 3 / 11  
This is great. Nothing to change here. In fact I crave a PB&J now.

I would love it if you critique my essays as well!
RiceAllTheWhey 3 / 16  
Great essay, I'm sure you won't get any love from futurists. jk
OP articuno 1 / 16  
Thank you all for the comments ^^. I've taken all your suggestions into consideration so really a big thanks to all of you and happy holidays! (I am open to more critique, in case others have anything to say!)
glamazing 4 / 11  
Absolutely loved it. I can think of no way you can edit it and I am sure it's extremely unique. You are a brilliant writer. Goodluck, and thanks for your reviews with mine!

Home / Undergraduate / 'the peacefulness of my backyard' - What Matters and Why? "PB&J"